Contribute
Register

How much can GPU upgrade help with Adobe LR/Premiere?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU
i7-3770K
What's a good good GPU under $200 to pair with: i7 8700k, 32g Ram, GIGABYTE Z370?

I've been using a i7-3700k rig based on Slugnet's golden build and would like to upgrade my CPU, Mobo and memory for working with Sony .raw photos in Lightroom and 4k video in Premiere.

I never did get a GPU - only using the onboard mobo dvi. I'm sure this is a dumb question but: How much real world difference does a dedicated video card make when editing video with Premiere and rendering previews with Lightroom?

When I was just editing older Fuji XT1 .raw photos and 1080 video the mobo video seemed fine. But now that I have a Sony A7riii - my rig seems much slower.

A GPU makes an enormous difference. In Final Cut Pro X I got 4-8 times the performance in average with a Radeon R9 280X compared to just a i7 3770. For Premiere you want to go with a newer Nvidia card. As far as I have heard the GTX 980 works well, while the 970, 1050/1060/1080 have glitches when using Open CL in other apps. Driver issue I guess. Not sure if you can geta used GTX 980 for $200 or less, but hey, I found a R9 280X in good nick for a friend for €60 recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back