980x
Graphics
r9 290x + 6850
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Just thought I'd see if anyone else has problems with WD drives dying on them.

Just had another one die on me today. That makes 6 this year.

Most recent falures
2 x 1T Green
1 x 320G Blue
1 x 500G Green
2 x 640G Blue
can't remember the specifics of the others...

If you have a dead WD drive please post it here.

rabbit

lol, there's got to be something wrong with your rig or how/where you use them
are you using them as boomerangs or something?! :mrgreen:
thats alot of drives! :eek:

Do you use greens as OS drives?

I have 4 w.d drives, one is new, and 1 is a year old, and another two from about 2/3 years.. all working fine..

2 of them were mine. The rest were brought to me by friends.

D

dunno, I always buy W.D, the best guaranteed drives I had since quantum Big Foot :D

I've had 3 Drives from 2005 all WD. One Raptor 74 GB and two 160 GB Drives all still working ,but not in use since about 2 months. And one 500 GB Caviar Blue in my Rig since 2009 and 2 WD external harddrives (one Elements and one MyBook)

None has died yet.

Rabbit, you are not the only unlucky person with WD drives. I know a Mac repair guy, who has pulled countless dead WD drives out of real Macs. Perhaps Hitachi will do better for your computers, rabbit.

Tom

I'm a seagate guy now.

I've had even more busted Hitachi drives than any other. At least the made in Thailand ones. I literally have a bucket full of them in the back room.

r.

I am really curious how do you use those drives..

are you sure there is not something wrong with your PC or PSU ?
also maybe if you put your case on the ground beside a powerful sub-woofer, this may have an impact on hdds..

also make sure your case is steady, and does not vibrate/shake alot..

I pretty much only buy WD. Only had 1 die that I can recall, and it was the one that was shipped in my iMac. It crapped out after 2 years.

Thank goodness for backup utilities though, eh? ;)

I've bought countless WD's over the years, had only 2 with issues over the years. Both developed bad sectors and a reformat fixed that on each. In fact, every WD I've bought since '00 is still working and in use (15 of them at last count) :eek:

Also, I even have a powermac G4 from 00-01 with two 60gb WD's that are still kicking.

Compare that to the one seagate I bought three years ago (barracuda 250gb) - had to rma one week after buying...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back