Classic Mac
  1. 128K
  2. 512K
  3. Centris
  4. Plus
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi,
My 'work' Hackintosh is a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H running Mountain Lion until last month. Soon after I upgraded to Mavericks (Not Yosemite as some software isn't compatible), I started having random freezes on startup. Now, I can't get either onboard ethernet card to connect. The Intel port will show a network address for 2 seconds and then loose it for another 30. The Atheros port never worked from the start.

I tried plugging in an old Rosewill RC-401 ethernet card. It uses a Marvell Yukon chip and although OS X sees the card, it can't obtain a network address either. Same result with a random USB-Ethernet adaptor.

This MB has been running 9 hours a day for 2.5 years. Is it possible the MB is just bad? I have a newer Rosewill ethernet card on the way from Amazon ($9 with a Realtek chip). If that fails, any chance I would get a better result from a Wifi card?

I have tried a complete clean install without success as well.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jeff

One way to test if the problem is software related or hardware is to boot another OS. Do you have a Windows disk to boot from? How about a Live Linux CD? If it gets a good IP when using those OS's then the problem is software related and you need to troubleshoot your setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back