Graphics
GeForce 9600 GT 512 MB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
After having a stable SL and L on separate drives, I thought it was time to try Mountain Lion!
I partitioned one of the drives to create a ML partiton and with a USB, followed the clear instructions from Tony to install via unibeast
Everything went as described in the guide, until after trying to boot to the ML drive with chimera. As has been reported by a lot of others, it booted to a black screen.It appeared it was booting ok but there was a graphics issue, as the fan speeds dropped at the black screen as they do with any normal boot up on my other drives,
( confirmed by booting with -v when it stalled at NV Enabler probe fails)

Having seen many posts on the subject, without finding a definitive answer, I thought I would try another way. With the advantage of being able to rerun multibeast to the ML drive through another stable Lion drive,I did the following:

Rerun multibeast 5.02 installing User DSDT or DSDT free installation
Ran Multibeast 4.6 installing NVidia 10.7.2 combo patch ,64 bit Graphics Enabler - No and the PCI root ID fix

Rebooted after successful install, and Hey Presto--Mountain Lion!!
just had to run audio and network and everything works!!
Well not quite everything!! I have found I cannot connect to the app store, so I am just looking through other posts to resolve that one!.

After a lot of head scratching,it seemed to me from other comments to be linked to both the root ID and 64 bit recognition. I may have been lucky in finding this solution, but hopefully it will help others make progress

After having a stable SL and L on separate drives, I thought it was time to try Mountain Lion!
I partitioned one of the drives to create a ML partiton and with a USB, followed the clear instructions from Tony to install via unibeast
Everything went as described in the guide, until after trying to boot to the ML drive with chimera. As has been reported by a lot of others, it booted to a black screen.It appeared it was booting ok but there was a graphics issue, as the fan speeds dropped at the black screen as they do with any normal boot up on my other drives,
( confirmed by booting with -v when it stalled at NV Enabler probe fails)

Having seen many posts on the subject, without finding a definitive answer, I thought I would try another way. With the advantage of being able to rerun multibeast to the ML drive through another stable Lion drive,I did the following:

Rerun multibeast 5.02 installing User DSDT or DSDT free installation
Ran Multibeast 4.6 installing NVidia 10.7.2 combo patch ,64 bit Graphics Enabler - No and the PCI root ID fix

Rebooted after successful install, and Hey Presto--Mountain Lion!!
just had to run audio and network and everything works!!
Well not quite everything!! I have found I cannot connect to the app store, so I am just looking through other posts to resolve that one!.

After a lot of head scratching,it seemed to me from other comments to be linked to both the root ID and 64 bit recognition. I may have been lucky in finding this solution, but hopefully it will help others make progress

Due to the fact that its 64 bit. Using unibeast for the install automatically sets 64bit graphic enabler to yes, chimera then installs to bootloader and somehow ****s it all up by corrupting that.

Mulitbeast is not 100%

Would you be able to expand on how you did the following:

...With the advantage of being able to rerun multibeast to the ML drive through another stable Lion drive,I did the following:

Thanks in advance

Furio. referring to my comment 'rerun multibeast to the ML drive through another stable Lion drive,

by this I mean that I booted into my working Lion system, then went to the multibeast on that system and set the destination on multibeast to load to the Mountain Lion drive.

its a good way to recover any kernal panics etc on another set up

Hope this helps

Just to update further, I was able to apply the 10.8.2 update with no issues at all, I didnt even have to rerun multibeast due to lost sound etc.
In fact even the app store issue has resolved itself as seen by the ability to update. I think it was just the fact there was an issue with the app store at the time I tried it rather than my system.

ML has been by far the most difficult to get to work , having followed Tony's guides to get very stable SL and Lion systems they were a doddle compared to trying to get ML to boot past chimera

same here after i fixed the corrupted kernel panic all was good.

I am using Dell XPS l501x. I got a solution for Mountain Lion black screen after installing multi beast.

I found that Installing chameleon v2.1 svn 2003 boot loader and some changes in org.chameleon.Boot.plist

<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-v</string>
<key>Instant Menu</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>

Moreover you have to keep a file named Extensions.mkext and Preboot.dmg inside alongwith org.chameleon.Boot.plist in the Extra folder.

I have attached all the files.

enjoy :)

Attachments

• ChameleonBootfix.zip
    3.3 MB · Views: 244
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back