Contribute
Register

How do you remove PowerMac G5 power button?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASRock Extreme7 X79
CPU
Intel Core i7 3820
Graphics
Diamond AMD Radeon 7970 x2
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
How do you do it? I know how to remove the cover and the PCB but in order to powder coat, the power button needs to be removed. How do you do that?

Jeffinslaw

The ONLY think I could find was this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e46tFQDoGBY&feature=player_embedded

Doesn't seem to be that much help. Could you just put tape over the button? I think it would look odd with the silver button and a different color of the case, unless of course you're power coating it the same color.

The ONLY think I could find was this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e46tFQDoGBY&feature=player_embedded

Doesn't seem to be that much help. Could you just put tape over the button? I think it would look odd with the silver button and a different color of the case, unless of course you're power coating it the same color.

Yah, that video is of no help haha, I've already seen it. Well I want to remove it because I plan on painting it my self, it is plastic after all and you can't powder coat plastic.

Jeffinslaw

I'm not all that familiar with the methods of powder coating, but I assume is sort of like anodizing, yes? I don't see why taping off the button wouldn't be an option.

I'm not all that familiar with the methods of powder coating, but I assume is sort of like anodizing, yes? I don't see why taping off the button wouldn't be an option.

Powder coating is completely different than anodizing. With powder coating, the object is sprayed with the powder and then when it is heated in an oven, the powder bonds to the material. The temperature of the oven is 400 degrees F. Hmmm... I just checked to see at what temperature plastic melts at but I have no idea what kind of plastic the button is made of.

Jeffinslaw

Oh, my mistake. I was thinking the aluminum prepared like it is in anodizing and then sprayed. This makes more sense now. Yeah I wouldn't attempt to powder coat it with the button on it.

The power button has a little circlip holding it in place. You pinch the two ends of the circlip together and it pops out.

The power button has a little circlip holding it in place. You pinch the two ends of the circlip together and it pops out.

Minihack to the rescue! Post that information on the main G5 page?

Yes, the button is recessed into a cast pocket in the front and the circlip fits into a circumferential groove behind (case side) the button and stops it from falling out. Take a pair of circlip pliers (or two thin pointy things/ very small screwdrivers) and insert into the little rings at either end of the circlip and squeeze them towards each other. The circlip will pop out and so will the power button. Do it on newspaper or somewhere where the circlip won't bounce off and get lost..........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back