Contribute
Register

How do you download Yosemite when Snow Leopard wont let you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Hackintosh-home built
CPU
Core i7-4790K 4 GHz, 8mb Cache LGA 1150
Graphics
GIGABYTE GEFORCE GTX 760 GDDR5-2GB OC
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello, I have an older MAC PRO (2006 build) that has Snow Leopard on it. I want to use this computer to get the newer 10.10 Yosemite on it and then transfer to a USB for my new MAC PRO Hackintosh. How can this be done? Can a DVD of Yosemite be purchased?

Hello, I have an older MAC PRO (2006 build) that has Snow Leopard on it. I want to use this computer to get the newer 10.10 Yosemite on it and then transfer to a USB for my new MAC PRO Hackintosh.

Snow Leopard was by Apples design the last version of OS X that the early Mac Pro 1,1 was able to use. Some people have successfully modified their machines to run the later versions. There was a great deal of this seen online last year. Search google using 'Mac Pro 2006 Mavericks' to find these useful links.
Note - you modify your own hardware at your own risk.

How can this be done? Can a DVD of Yosemite be purchased?

Apple only make software available for download via the Mac App Store (MAS) You can use a retail DVD of Snow Leopard (sorry the grey Apple recovery disks do not work) with iBoot on PC hardware. This allows you to temporary install Snow Leopard and update to 10.6.8 giving you access on your new build to download Yosemite from the App store. You can then create a UniBeast flash drive to install on the pc hardware.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/basics/104542-im-new-everything-where-do-i-start.html

Yeah I was pretty much told by a MAC expert to put snow leopard on the new machine and upgrade as you said.

I also see that I can purchase 10.7 Lion or Mountain Lion also. Is it better to upgrade from them?

I appreciate the response. Thanks

Well the Snow Leopard version 10.6.3 was the last Apple DVD that was sold (that I am aware of). So the process is to start with either the 10.6.0 or 10.6.3 retail DVD for the initial install, upgrade to the downloadable 10.6.8 combo update and then running 10.6.8 you will be able to download Yosemite.

Good modding,
neil

I also see that I can purchase 10.7 Lion or Mountain Lion also. Is it better to upgrade from them?

No Snow Leopard is best in most instances as it is supplied on a disk and can be used in conjunction with several versions of iBoot depending on your pc hardware.

For the Latest Haswell boards and CPUs iBoot Haswell will provide your hardware with the temporary support required to make the process possible. One thing that is becoming more of an issue on newer boards is the 'killer' ethernet used by many of the gaming motherboards in particular.

There is no Snow Leopard support for these 'killer' ethernet chipsets as yet. A work around is available if you need it to get Yosemite with USB wifi and a Null ethernet kext.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/network/122884-mac-app-store-access-nullethernet-kext.html

The new build hackintosh has:
  • Intel Core i7-4790k 4 GHz
  • Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming GT Z97 ATX Motherboard
  • Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB GDDR5
  • 16 GBs of 1600 MHz of RAM
  • Corsair H100i Cooler
  • 128 GB SSD for OS & Applications
  • and many more features

Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT has ALC1150 audio and Qualcomm Atheros Killer E2201 LAN chip:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4969#sp

You can pick up a compatible USB wifi adaptor for MAC OS 10.6 or build a PCIe card to work with Snow Leopard:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/network/1056-how-build-your-own-real-airport-card.html
Use either of these options in conjunction with the Null Ethernet link that I posted in an earlier post on this thread.

Many of the high end Gaming boards are now featuring this NIC - so it must be the new premium performer overtaking the Intel option. Support is available for Yosemite in MultiBeast.

I really was hoping this thread was going to answer my question. I have Lion and I am very sure I am missing something SO SIMPLE a 3 yr old can figure it out. My 46 yr old mind just is missing it. I have been trying to get Yosemite from the App store (now El Capitan) but on the Machine it says that I can't, the machine wont handle it. I have downloaded all the software. Am I supposed to be running something when I open the app store before I try to download it?

I have been trying to get Yosemite from the App store (now El Capitan) but on the Machine it says that I can't, the machine wont handle it

If the machine that you are using to attempt the download does not meet the minimum spec to run the operating system that you are trying to download then the App store will refuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back