Contribute
Register

How do I verify my GPU is running Metal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-I gaming
CPU
i5-9600K
Graphics
RX 580
I just downloaded the new patch for World of Warcraft and it doesn't seem to be running as hapily now as before. FPS is about half with lower quality settings and the text is not smoothly rendered, its looks compacted. I've done some reading and it seems that it will no longer be using OGL but Metal. I have just upgraded to 10.11.6 via SU but have not put new drivers on my card specifically since installation. Any ideas on possibly updating drivers for the GPU or should I consider a newer card? How do I tell if my card (GTX 770 4GB) is running correctly? Any ideas are appreciated.

If you are running the web drivers then you will need to open the Nvidia Driver Manager in System Preferences and update the driver. The web drivers are specific to the build number of OS X.

Just running the stock drivers....should I be running the web drivers?

Your GTX 770 should take advantage of Metal in El Capitan, with or without the web drivers.

You can change the graphics API from inside WoW (it can still use both and was set to OpenGL for me on default).

System > Advanced > Graphics API. Make sure that is set to Metal. You'll need to relaunch WoW for it to take effect.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back