Contribute
Register

How Do I Setup Dual Boot with2 Separate SSDs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
CPU
i7 2700K
Graphics
2 x GTX480
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I installed OS x 10.7.4 on a Samsung 830 256GB SSD. I have Windows 7 installed on an Intel 520 240GB SSD.

What is the best and most convenient way to set up dual boot at this point.

Please keep in mind I have 4 (6 TB Total) other storage drives with many files that I could use for both Windows and OS X but a lot are Windows specific.

Thanks!!

You install the Instant Menu kect from MultiBeast to select which OS to boot from @ Chimera. Make sure the OS X drive is first always. You can use a exFAT partition for sharing files between each OS.

Single/Dual/Triple Booting Guide on one or separate HDDs/SSDs by GoingBald

viewtopic.php?f=81&t=20872

jester969 said:
You install the Instant Menu kect from MultiBeast to select which OS to boot from @ Chimera. Make sure the OS X drive is first always. You can use a exFAT partition for sharing files between each OS.

Single/Dual/Triple Booting Guide on one or separate HDDs/SSDs by GoingBald

viewtopic.php?f=81&t=20872
Thank you that's a great thread about the subject. Too bad it's so hard to find when searching.

It should be made into a sticky!!!

robzzz

You have achieved what is outsmarting me.
I too have two SSDs;
120GB - 80GB Widows 7, 30GB Ubuntu ---MBR
60GB - 40GB OSX ML, 15GB Free ---GPT

The OSs were installed by having the 'other disk' disconnected, so the 120Gb is MBR and the 60GB is GTP.
{If anybody is interested, the reason for this was to have the speed advantage of SATA3 for Windows/Ubuntu and SATA2 for OSX (being one of the restrictions of Hackintosh)}
Grub is installed on the Ubuntu partition.
I think this is similar to where you started.

I have the 60GB set as the initial boot device with Chimera (aka Chameleon) installed.
When I start, I can see all the partitions in Chameleon, and I can boot OSX and Linux (Grub), but if I select Windows it says the bootldr is missing. However, if I select Linux, I can then successful boot windows7 from the Grub menu.
NB If I change the initial boot device to the 120GB, I can boot straight into Windows.

I cannot work out what to do from the guide given as it relates to all OSs being no the same drive.
Can you tell me how you did this, or if your setup is not the same as mine (and so you cannot help)?

many thanks
CK

***EDIT*** I am a fool. It was working all the time.
I had to read a post which prompted me to use the 'System Partition' rather than NTFS.
Now I need to read about configuring Chameleon to hide the NTFS partition, change the 'System Partition' icon to be the Windows flag and rename it to Windows 7. Hopefully that will straight forward...

Now I need to read about configuring Chameleon to hide the NTFS partition, change the 'System Partition' icon to be the Windows flag and rename it to Windows 7. Hopefully that will straight forward...

For those that are interested, you will need to list your partition information using Terminal;
diskutil list

I have listed mine as an example;
diskutil list
/dev/disk0

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *60.0 GB disk0
1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS Mac OSX 40.0 GB disk0s2
3: Microsoft Basic Data Shared 19.7 GB disk0s3
/dev/disk1
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: FDisk_partition_scheme *120.0 GB disk1
1: Windows_NTFS System Reserved 104.9 MB disk1s1
2: Windows_NTFS 85.9 GB disk1s2
3: Linux 32.5 GB disk1s3
4: Linux_Swap 1.5 GB disk1s5

I have two SSD disks;
disk0 with OSX and ExtFAT (to share files across OS)
disk1 with Win7 and Ubuntu Linux
As mentioned above, Windows boots from 'System Reserved', I also found my ExFAT showed up as 'GTP Unknown'.

I inserted the following into my org.chameleon.Boot.plist to hide my unwanted partitions and rename the wanted;
<key>Hide Partition</key>
<string>hd(0,3) hd(1,2)</string>
<key>Rename Partition</key>
<string>hd(1,1) "Win7 Ultimate";hd(1,3) "Ubuntu"</string>

Regards
CK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back