Contribute
Register

How Do I Make My Mojave Backup Bootable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Mini Deluxe GA-Z77N WiFi
CPU
I7-3770K
Graphics
GTX 670
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Performa
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So... a preface, I have/had Mojave installed on my primary SSD. I was playing some classic Quake 3 Arena and smashing it when my computer screen suddenly went black and then restarted trying to update. I let the update proceed ( I was about 6 beers in ) and the updated did not complete. When I force rebooted, there was a black screen after the Bios screen.

I was thinking.... no problem. I have a complete backup on my external HD from June 2019 of my Hackintosh Mojave install (carbon copy cloned). I try to boot from the backup, but the bios did not show the Mojave backup as bootable, but it did show a 10.12 update as bootable. I have not idea where this back exists, but it did boot. The only problem is, it is 10.12, but all the system apps are 10.14!!! I have not idea how this happened, but none of the 10.14 apps will run on 10.12. My simple solution was to boot into my backup, reformat the boot SSD, and reinstall from my backup, but the backup does not show up on my boot screen... only the old 10.12 install. Is there an easy way to boot from my 10.14 backup? Thanks!!!

-MW

So.. I was able to install a backup of Mojave onto my Photoshop scratch disk (internal) and was able to boot. The version is 10.14.1, which explains the attempt to update. I wiped my SSD boot drive and I am installing my Mohave backup using Carbon Copy Cloner. I am a registered user and I can definitely endorse it. All my backups reside on a 8 GB Seagate Drive. It is only a 5,400 rpm drive... so my only complaint is that is slow to backup and slow to restore, but was cheap peace of mind. I have a feeling my next post will be booting into my restored Mojave hackintosh.

-MW

Sooo... here was the solution. So... I copied a minimalist system over to an internal partition which was a Photoshop scratch disk. I was able to boot into Mojave 10.14.1 from this partition. I then wiped my main SSD startup disk using disk utility. Using Carbon Copy, I copied over my hackintosh 10.14.1 backup. I then applied the 10.14.6 combo updated with latest clover/fake EFI from Multibeast.

After rebooting, I got pas the Bios screen to a black screen. I was a little worried, but waited patiently, and then the boot screen came up. I selected the 10.14.6 updated startup disk. It went through a really long diagnostic screen before booting into the 10.14.6. The startup time is now extremely slow on my SSD compared to previous install. Are there some tweaks I can do to speed up the snail start up?

MW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back