Contribute
Register

How do I make Chameleon load before Grub?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H
CPU
i5-4670K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
installed Ubuntu on one of the partitions on my boot drive, but now i am getting the Grub bootloader showing and booting into OS X doesnt work.

how do i make Chameleon load before Grub? and also can you boot Ubuntu on ext4 from Chameleon?

Hmm, whenever I tried to install Ubuntu I'd always get a wide array of errors, (grub error 32, etc) so I've learned to stay away because of Ubuntu's loader :) haha.
Since the installs are on the same HDD, but on different partitions (correct?) it seems that Ubuntu's loader has taken over the drive, and prioritized itself.
I never got really technical into Ubuntu, but on their support forums you can look for a command to change the boot order of the HDD from ubuntu to OS X, and fix it.
Sorry it's so vague, but the best thing you could do now is search around the Ubuntu forums.

yeah i just need to change grub to second prority as without it Ubuntu wont boot.

i tried Googling for answers but i i dont know what to search, it is all so foreign to me as ive never installed Ubuntu. but im not foreign with the Terminal if i have the commands. any ideas what to search/where to look?

Ubuntu 10.10 is pretty awesome btw! pretty fast and cool looking, but not as good as OS X for me and harder to configure.

Use iBoot to boot the machine. It might not see your Ubuntu install, but it should see your OSX. Select OSX. Re-run Multibeast to re-install Chameleon to the HD.

The original Ubuntu install most likely over-wrote the Chameleon stage 0 part of bootloader in the MBR as that is the default setting. For future reference you can specify where to install grub during Ubuntu installation, via a small "advanced" button on the screen just prior to setting off the install, and here you'd select the Linux partition rather than the disk.

Now, if on rebooting from the HD, Chameleon does not see / enable booting of Ubuntu, you'd need to fix that by launching Ubuntu from live CD, and reinstall grub to the Ubuntu PARTITION (eg: sda3), not the default of the HD's MBR (eg: sda).

Recovery is basically same as "Recovery using Microsoft Windows and Its Bootloader"
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows

oh, so yep i mustve installed Grub on the MBR and overwrote Chameleon. thanks for the info! i was searching that whole time and still couldnt work it out. worked perfect thanks! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back