Contribute
Register

How do I get rid of lingering boot drives from old installs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI
CPU
i5-3570K
Graphics
HD 4000
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've had my Hackintosh since 2012 and during one time when it broke and I couldn't fix it, I installed Linux as the OS. I got it running 10.13 after that (in 2017) and it was running great until February 2020. I haven't been able to get my Hack fully back since (almost a year).

In a recent unsuccessful attempt to get my Hack back, I did a clean install of 10.13 in which first I erased and reformatted my 120GB SSD in disk utility before the install, however other boot drives still appear as boot device options when I hit F12 after boot up.

See image below (notice that in addition to the Mac OSX bootloader, there is an Ubuntu bootloader and a second Mac OSX bootloader):

IMG_0742.jpg

I think that there should only be one Mac OSX bootloader and that the Ubuntu or second Mac OSX bootloaders are causing problems.

I've done a clean install of 10.13 using Unibeast, but for the life of me I cannot get the post-installation to succeed, and so I cannot boot into Mac OS without the USB drive (and no sound, and the graphics look bad, and much more that is unacceptable). I'm wondering if these lingering bootloaders are the cause of my post-installation pain.

How can I get rid of these??? Please help.

Attaching more images from Disk Utility and the Clover in case they are helpful:

Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 11.37.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 11.37.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 11.37.23 PM.png

IMG_0743.jpg

IMG_0744.jpg

IMG_0745.jpg

IMG_0746.jpg

Thanks for this tip. I followed the guide and successfully removed all non-physical drives . . . but I still can't boot into MacOS without the USB stick. There are some 420 posts on that thread, so I will try going through all of them to see if there is more I can glean.

but I still can't boot into MacOS without the USB stick. There are some 420 posts on that thread, so I will try going through all of them to see if there is more I can glean.
That is an entirely unrelated problem that is most unlikely to be solved by reading the rest of that thread.

Try replacing the /EFI folder on the SSD with the one from the USB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back