Contribute
Register

How do I get bootloader to see my linux partition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI
CPU
i5
Graphics
ATI 5770
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
My boot loader is picking up my windows and Lion partitions but there is no option for Linux. Any ideas fellas? Thanks

Same hd or separate?
Basic method is use terminal to remove grub2 totally from the hard drive. Then re-install it to the root ( / ) of the Linux install.

Different hard drive. I have Windows and Ubuntu on the same disk and OS X on another. Is there any tutorials on how to do this? Thanks

-Disconnect the OSX drive.
-Boot your Ubuntu installation.
-Find the Ubuntu root partition name, make SURE you find the right one or you might break your windows install boot or OSX will find it but it won't boot it.
-I'll call the root partition "sdx1" for this example.
-Enter in terminal: sudo grub-install -f /dev/sdx1
-Press enter, enter your password when required, reboot.
-Reconnect the OSX drive, make sure to boot from it, OSX boot loader should see and boot the three installations OSX/Ubuntu/Windows, not necessarily in that order.

Good luck.

neysito said:
-Find the Ubuntu root partition name, make SURE you find the right one or you might break your windows install boot or OSX will find it but it won't boot it.
-Reconnect the OSX drive, make sure to boot from it, OSX boot loader should see and boot the three installations OSX/Ubuntu/Windows, not necessarily in that order.

Good luck.

Thanks bud. Now that is some genuine help right there =)

No problem, enjoy your Ubuntu. I love my Kubuntu :)

neysito said:

Good luck.

If I have a seperate hard drive for my Ubuntu, is this process the same?
Also, what qualifies as my root partition? Ubuntu has the regular and the "swap" partition. I assume just the regular one?

If I have a seperate hard drive for my Ubuntu, is this process the same?
A: Yes, it will be safer and less confusing if you just disconnect every HDD but the Ubuntu one and boot from it before you do it.

Also, what qualifies as my root partition? Ubuntu has the regular and the "swap" partition. I assume just the regular one?
A: Yes, it is the regular partition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back