Contribute
Register

How do I get a "boot from CD" option in Chameleon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS P77
CPU
i7
I started this topic in the middle of a related thread but thought it better to break it out into its own thread.

When I look at the Chameleon themes at voodooprojects.org, there is always a "device_cdrom.png" image. For example...
index.php

I assumed this meant that I could power up my machine, see Chameleon, insert a bootable CD (eg a live Linux distro) then choose the CD icon in Chameleon and it would boot the CD. No more need to press F12 on Gigabyte boards on power-up or change the boot order in the BIOS. However I can't get this to work.

Some mentioned that after Chameleon loads I should insert a CD then press F5 (or F10) but these made no difference and I only see my Mac and Windows boot partitions.

Looking at the Chameleon help I have tried...

<key>Rescan</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Rescan Prompt</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Scan Single Drive</key>
<string>Yes</string>

...in my com.apple.Boot.plist but these made no difference and I got no rescan prompt.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong is appreciated. My current com.apple.Boot.plist file is...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Rename Partition</key>
<string>"Macintosh" " "</string>
<key>Hide Partition</key>
<string>"Documents - Win"</string>
<key>Theme</key>
<string>iPhone</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Regards

semtex said:
I started this topic in the middle of a related thread but thought it better to break it out into its own thread.

When I look at the Chameleon themes at voodooprojects.org, there is always a "device_cdrom.png" image. For example...
index.php

I assumed this meant that I could power up my machine, see Chameleon, insert a bootable CD (eg a live Linux distro) then choose the CD icon in Chameleon and it would boot the CD. No more need to press F12 on Gigabyte boards on power-up or change the boot order in the BIOS. However I can't get this to work.

Some mentioned that after Chameleon loads I should insert a CD then press F5 (or F10) but these made no difference and I only see my Mac and Windows boot partitions.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong is appreciated.

Regards
If you power on your system and insert a cd in the dvr during post, the BIOS should ask you to hit a key to boot from CD right after "Verifying DMI Pool Data..." IF you have the dvr in the device boot list in BIOS.

If it does not ask you to hit a key to boot from dvr does chameleon see the cd and show an icon for it?

At the chameleon boot screen menu, you should also be able to insert a cd in the dvr, wait until it quits spinning/the drive light goes out, hit F5 and the icon should show up on the chameleon screen. It works that way for me.

Thanks for the ideas Going Bald... but alas :(

Would you mind sharing what's in your com.apple.Boot.plist file please?

If I put my CDROM as the first boot device then if there is a bootable cd in the drive when I power on it automatically starts (there is no prompt to boot from the CD). If I have no CD in the drive, after POST Chameleon appears and there is no CD boot option. Put in a CD, wait for the drive to stop spinning then press F5. I know F5 is supposed to refresh the CD drive but for it immediate boots the default partition!!

If I put the CD ROM as the second boot device then it doesn't matter if I put a CD in on power up or after Chameleon appears, there is no CD option and pressing F5 boots into my default partition.

This is why I would like to look at your com.apple.Boot.plist for clues.

Thanks in advance.

semtex said:
Thanks for the ideas Going Bald... but alas :(

Would you mind sharing what's in your com.apple.Boot.plist file please?

If I put my CDROM as the first boot device then if there is a bootable cd in the drive when I power on it automatically starts (there is no prompt to boot from the CD). If I have no CD in the drive, after POST Chameleon appears and there is no CD boot option. Put in a CD, wait for the drive to stop spinning then press F5. I know F5 is supposed to refresh the CD drive but for it immediate boots the default partition!!

If I put the CD ROM as the second boot device then it doesn't matter if I put a CD in on power up or after Chameleon appears, there is no CD option and pressing F5 boots into my default partition.

This is why I would like to look at your com.apple.Boot.plist for clues.

Thanks in advance.
If you make the dvr the second boot device and boot with the disc in the dvr then chameleon should present you with an icon for that disc. - UNLESS that disc does not have an icon included in its initialization file.
If you look at the bottom of the screen when in the first post screen it should give you a function key for boot options - if you hit it during post then, after post is completed, it will give you a list of your bootable devices. you should be able to select the dvr at that point, hit enter and boot from it.
As for my com.apple.boot.plist, I don't think there is anything there that will help you, but for what it's worth, here it is:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-v</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Hide Partition</key>
<string>"Windows NTFS"</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>0</string>