Contribute
Register

How can I tell if I use too much power on my power supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
CPU
Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz
Graphics
HD 4000
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
When I got my EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti and added a addition fan, my computer has been loud lately. Here are my specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H TH
Graphic: Intel HD 4000 and EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti
SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 240GB
Hard Drive: 300 gb Seagate Traditional Drive. very old, but useful for backups.
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB(will get another 16GB soon)
Processor: Intel Core i7-3770K Quad Core 3.5GHz
Case: CoolerMaster HAF X Blue Edition
Power Supply: XFX 650W XXX Edition Single P1650XXXB9
Fan: Comes with the case and a Cooler Master R4-L2R-20AC-GP R, which is a total of 5 fans.

I don't have a DVD drive or water cooling.

When I got my EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti and added a addition fan, my computer has been loud lately. Here are my specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H TH
Graphic: Intel HD 4000 and EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti
SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 240GB
Hard Drive: 300 gb Seagate Traditional Drive. very old, but useful for backups.
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB(will get another 16GB soon)
Processor: Intel Core i7-3770K Quad Core 3.5GHz
Case: CoolerMaster HAF X Blue Edition
Power Supply: XFX 650W XXX Edition Single P1650XXXB9
Fan: Comes with the case and a Cooler Master R4-L2R-20AC-GP R, which is a total of 5 fans.

I don't have a DVD drive or water cooling.

To measure the power your PSU is supplying, you need to hook up current meters into each and every output circuit going from the PSU to the motherboard, GPU, drives, fans, etc. Derive the power by multiplying the current with the voltage, add them all up, and there's your answer. Obviously this isn't very convenient.
But it would allow you to see when your PSU is getting close to the current limit for each of its outputs (the "650W" is the sum of all of them: for example if you had something sucking too much power from the 3.3V rail the PSU could be overloaded even if it wasn't anywhere near 650W total).

For a coarser answer you can instead plug the computer into an AC "watt meter". "Kill-A-Watt" is one US model. I just picked up a power meter from my local Jaycar store. This will give you the power the PSU is drawing (which due to inefficiencies in the PSU design will always be slightly greater than the PSU output).

On lammergeier with an i7 OC'ed to 4.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 2x SSD, 7xHDD, GTX 650, under heavy load with all the disks being hammered, Prime95 and Unigine Heaven running, I haven't been able to get the power draw above 390W. Obviously this workload is an extreme case not indicative of real-world use. :)
Your GTX 650 Ti should draw up to ~45W more than my GTX 650, but even so I would expect your 650W PSU should be having no trouble.

If your system is loud, that doesn't necessarily have a relationship with the PSU being under load.

If you can control the speed of your fans and slow them down while still moving enough air to let the heatsinks inside do their work, you can drop the noise significantly. Replacing the fans with quieter models can help too.
The fan on the GTX 650 Ti will be producing some noise too. With the case open you can press with your fingers on the hub of the fan and slow it down to stopped to see how much. You can keep an eye on the GPU and system temps in HWMonitor while you do this, but no matter what you'll want to release it after a second or two to make sure the cooling works. Make sure you're not pushing the fan off-balance though, as that can harm the fan. If you want you do have the option of replacing the fan and heatsink on that EVGA GTX 650 Ti with a quieter cooler such as something from Arctic Cooling. In lammergeier I've used an Arctic Accelero S1 Plus which is completely fanless, and is rated for the power level of the GTX 650 Ti. It does need some airflow through the case though.
Other noise producers in the case will include:
  • PSU
  • CPU cooler - I use an NH-D14 but there are other quiet options
  • HDD - that old drive is probably producing a lot of noise, but usually you only notice when you turn it off and the power goes away
You'll need to work out which of the noise-makers is the biggest culprit. But I warn you, it's a slippery slope. Once you've fixed the noisiest component you'll be more aware of the next noisiest component, and before long you'll be annoyed at noise levels that a month ago you didn't even notice! :D

To measure the power your PSU is supplying, you need to hook up current meters into each and every output circuit going from the PSU to the motherboard, GPU, drives, fans, etc. Derive the power by multiplying the current with the voltage, add them all up, and there's your answer. Obviously this isn't very convenient.
But it would allow you to see when your PSU is getting close to the current limit for each of its outputs (the "650W" is the sum of all of them: for example if you had something sucking too much power from the 3.3V rail the PSU could be overloaded even if it wasn't anywhere near 650W total).

For a coarser answer you can instead plug the computer into an AC "watt meter". "Kill-A-Watt" is one US model. I just picked up a power meter from my local Jaycar store. This will give you the power the PSU is drawing (which due to inefficiencies in the PSU design will always be slightly greater than the PSU output).

On lammergeier with an i7 OC'ed to 4.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 2x SSD, 7xHDD, GTX 650, under heavy load with all the disks being hammered, Prime95 and Unigine Heaven running, I haven't been able to get the power draw above 390W. Obviously this workload is an extreme case not indicative of real-world use. :)
Your GTX 650 Ti should draw up to ~45W more than my GTX 650, but even so I would expect your 650W PSU should be having no trouble.

If your system is loud, that doesn't necessarily have a relationship with the PSU being under load.

If you can control the speed of your fans and slow them down while still moving enough air to let the heatsinks inside do their work, you can drop the noise significantly. Replacing the fans with quieter models can help too.
The fan on the GTX 650 Ti will be producing some noise too. With the case open you can press with your fingers on the hub of the fan and slow it down to stopped to see how much. You can keep an eye on the GPU and system temps in HWMonitor while you do this, but no matter what you'll want to release it after a second or two to make sure the cooling works. Make sure you're not pushing the fan off-balance though, as that can harm the fan. If you want you do have the option of replacing the fan and heatsink on that EVGA GTX 650 Ti with a quieter cooler such as something from Arctic Cooling. In lammergeier I've used an Arctic Accelero S1 Plus which is completely fanless, and is rated for the power level of the GTX 650 Ti. It does need some airflow through the case though.
Other noise producers in the case will include:
  • PSU
  • CPU cooler - I use an NH-D14 but there are other quiet options
  • HDD - that old drive is probably producing a lot of noise, but usually you only notice when you turn it off and the power goes away
You'll need to work out which of the noise-makers is the biggest culprit. But I warn you, it's a slippery slope. Once you've fixed the noisiest component you'll be more aware of the next noisiest component, and before long you'll be annoyed at noise levels that a month ago you didn't even notice! :D

Thank You very much for the info. Going to get the Kill-A-Watt Meter ASAP. You mention 3.3V rail. Here is a picture from HWMonitor and look at the Auxiliary 3.3V. Is that what you mean?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-19 at 8.20.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-19 at 8.20.28 PM.png
    194.5 KB · Views: 152
You mention 3.3V rail.
It was just an example. The PSU will have multiple outputs: some +12V, -12V, +5V, +3.3V, etc. They will each have current limits (sometimes it's a limitation of load across groups of outputs: it all depends on the electrical design of the PSU).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back