Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I followed the directions in the first sticky for my ProBook 4540s and within an hour I'm booting without the USB stick, sound works, camera works, BT is at least asking me for KB/M (which you can turn off prompts), track pad has multi-touch and keyboard works (though alt key works as the CMD, and the "windows" key does alt...).

I have none of the internets, though!

Also, can the finger-print reader be used for anything in OS X?

... (though alt key works as the CMD, and the "windows" key does alt...).

By design. Look at the physical layout of real Mac keyboard and you'll see why.

I have none of the internets, though!

After following the guide, Ethernet will work. WiFi works after you install compatible hardware.

Also, can the finger-print reader be used for anything in OS X?

No.

so there is no chance that the WiFi card that came with this ProBook is compatible? I thought some have the good one already? If that's the case, how do I identify which card I have? If not, then ... oh :)

By design. Look at the physical layout of real Mac keyboard and you'll see why.

I am familiar, I'm typing on an iMac keyboard now, but whenever I've installed OS X on PC hardware before and used a USB keyboard, the windows key functioned as the CMD key. Just a curiosity - or I guess those-who-we-should-thank modified something in all the kexts and extras that arrange the keyboard as it "should" be :)

Thanks!

I am familiar, I'm typing on an iMac keyboard now, but whenever I've installed OS X on PC hardware before and used a USB keyboard, the windows key functioned as the CMD key.

Yes, that is OS X's default handling of PC USB keyboards. We decided to make it work correctly for the internal keyboard.

Just a curiosity - or I guess those-who-we-should-thank modified something in all the kexts and extras that arrange the keyboard as it "should" be :)

The keyboard layout is implemented in VoodooPS2Controller.kext: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I figured I'd give this some closure for anyone else who googles and finds it.

I do not have the WIFI card that works. It's available on Amazon for like $30 but my wife wanted the laptop for windows, so that never got any further.

As far as the handling of key-placements, it would be great if there were some sort of app (hack or non-hack) to allow PC keyboards to use the key placement of Apple style, so the key next to the space bar would be CMD! I don't expect to find such a thing, but I'll look... I guess it would screw up the Apple keyboard if it were used, so maybe that's why such an app doesn't exist?

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I figured I'd give this some closure for anyone else who googles and finds it.

I do not have the WIFI card that works. It's available on Amazon for like $30 but my wife wanted the laptop for windows, so that never got any further.

As far as the handling of key-placements, it would be great if there were some sort of app (hack or non-hack) to allow PC keyboards to use the key placement of Apple style, so the key next to the space bar would be CMD! I don't expect to find such a thing, but I'll look... I guess it would screw up the Apple keyboard if it were used, so maybe that's why such an app doesn't exist?

My PS2 driver makes Alt==Command (as per physical layout of Apple keyboards).

For other keyboards (USB), you can change it in SysPrefs->Keyboard->Modifier Keys.

For USB keyboards, you can change it in SysPrefs->Keyboard->Modifier Keys.

BRILLIANT - now if I can figure out how to pop these keys off and swap them physically as well...

BRILLIANT - now if I can figure out how to pop these keys off and swap them physically as well...

Why? Do people look at their keyboards while they type?

Well, I'm usually not typing when I'm using the alt or cmd keys, so that's not the right question ;-)

I am an audio engineer, so a lot of my software has keyboard shortcuts and my keys are color coded - it will take some time for me to get used to the new location of my keys. It's better to do this though, that way when I'm in anyone else's studio, I don't have to mentally switch my hand shapes for 3 or 4-key keyboard shortcuts, you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back