Contribute
Register

Hot Swap Impossible?

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
My build includes a three-bay hot swap cage that accepts bare SATA drives. My workflow is such that I swap drives a lot. I have set the ports for the three hot swap bays to permit "hot-plug" in BIOS.

The default 3rd party SATA kext does not make the "hot-plug" drives ejectable. I can still eject the disks, but I have to do so in Disk Utility or use an AppleScript I wrote to run a Terminal command. Unfortunately though, once a drive is removed from the bay, any new drive in the bay does not show up. I have to reboot. This is a nuisance and disrupts my workflow.

I installed the 3rd party eSATA kext which makes ALL drives ejectable (except the boot drive), not just the ones with the hot-plug option enabled in BIOS. That seemed like progress but...

Once a volume has been unmounted and its drive removed from the hot swap cage, any new drive placed into that cage slot does not register and cannot be used. As with the 3rd party SATA kext, I still have to reboot to install different drives in the hot swap cage.

Apparently, there is no kext which is mindful of the hot-plug property in BIOS and permits actual hot swap ability.

Please tell me I'm wrong and that true hot swap can be accomplished for SATA drives.

Going Bald

Motherboard
GA-X58A-UD7-F7
CPU
W3670
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Classic Mac
iMac
My build includes a three-bay hot swap cage that accepts bare SATA drives. My workflow is such that I swap drives a lot. I have set the ports for the three hot swap bays to permit "hot-plug" in BIOS.

The default 3rd party SATA kext does not make the "hot-plug" drives ejectable. I can still eject the disks, but I have to do so in Disk Utility or use an AppleScript I wrote to run a Terminal command. Unfortunately though, once a drive is removed from the bay, any new drive in the bay does not show up. I have to reboot. This is a nuisance and disrupts my workflow.

I installed the 3rd party eSATA kext which makes ALL drives ejectable (except the boot drive), not just the ones with the hot-plug option enabled in BIOS. That seemed like progress but...

Once a volume has been unmounted and its drive removed from the hot swap cage, any new drive placed into that cage slot does not register and cannot be used. As with the 3rd party SATA kext, I still have to reboot to install different drives in the hot swap cage.

Apparently, there is no kext which is mindful of the hot-plug property in BIOS and permits actual hot swap ability.

Please tell me I'm wrong and that true hot swap can be accomplished for SATA drives.
Most modern UEFI BIOSes allow you to individually enable hotswap on the SATA ports. Did you do this?

tonymacx86

Administrator
Staff member
Motherboard
PRIME Z490-A
CPU
Core i5 10600K
Graphics
Radeon RX Vega 56
Mac
MacBook Air
Classic Mac
Apple, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
I've not done hotswap disks recently. Remove all ACHI kexts, in BIOS, set SATA to External and Hot-swap activated for each drive you have in the rack. Then test the AHCI kexts one by one.

Motherboard
ASRock Z390M Pro4
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
HD 7870
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hello did anybody find a solution for hot swapping sata drives?
I Have an asrock Z370M pro4 mob an esata PCIE card (ASMEDIA 1061) and I am running Mojave
Thank you