Contribute
Register

Hopeful Cube build

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ Team - I have a few files I can let you use if you like. They are 2D and mostly for internal bits and pieces.

If your school laser cutter is similar to my commercial one then it will probably use a commercial software that will generally work by importing dxf files, so you could start your work in a vector graphics program such as CorelDraw or Illustrator or autocad. A good free start point though if you have no acess to the commercial programs is inkscape and then save files to plain .svg format which will also convert well. To be honest I am not so keen on sketch up as the export features on the free version are not very useful - mostly i end up measuring up from the sketch up files i am sent and recreate in Corel as i have found no decent way to import them.

For the curves you will best achieve them with a line bender (strip heater) that your school might also have if you are lucky - I am getting delivery of one to work with myself in the next week or so.

Nice one, Minihack. Any help is appreciated. I'll be on a LOOONG weekend break starting tonight and won't be back until Monday. My Tech guru and I will convene after the break and I'll update with what software we have for the cutter and what acrylic bending tools we use.
Cheers Molteni

Sketchup isn't the best choice. Since the laser doesn't cut in 3D it needs a 2D vector drawing. The laser cutter will require a vector file, .dxf, .eps, .svg or other including a .pdf in many cases. If you are in a pinch LibreCad works well for a free CAD program or most art programs can do a vector format which is pretty common.

I'm going to refit my original power sensor on the next teardown. I was able to find a pinout online though I haven't seen what it will take to wire it into the system. On mine the outside RAM stick is where the switch board normally goes so I'll remove the sensor from the board and remote locate the board somewhere in the Cube.

Wauuu... it's been over 2 years since I got the Cube... Could not find a suitable mobo then and mothballed the project...until now.. Found a relatively cheap DQ77KB and it arrived yesterday. RAM and cpu are in hand as well....The local electronics market here looked at me with disbelief as I was trying to find a LGA1155 processor... but i found one. Ha ha.

Flashed the bios this morning here at work where I'm keeping it away from my much better half. I'm planning it as a surprise Christmas gift for her. A mate of mine with an engineering degree has agreed to help to try and fit the bits in the Cube.

Stay tuned. Team Molteni is back, baybee

Wauuu... it's been over 2 years since I got the Cube... Could not find a suitable mobo then and mothballed the project...until now.. Found a relatively cheap DQ77KB and it arrived yesterday. RAM and cpu are in hand as well....The local electronics market here looked at me with disbelief as I was trying to find a LGA1155 processor... but i found one. Ha ha.

Flashed the bios this morning here at work where I'm keeping it away from my much better half. I'm planning it as a surprise Christmas gift for her. A mate of mine with an engineering degree has agreed to help to try and fit the bits in the Cube.

Stay tuned. Team Molteni is back, baybee

I am pleased to learn that you are back and working the cube. The DQ77KB is one of my all time favorite mother boards. There was a pre-cursor however; the Intel DH61AG which I used in my second cube hack (photo story here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/powermac-...profile-intel-dh61ag-mini-itx-g4-cube-11.html ). In my book, you have chosen the best motherboard for your project.

I will be waiting for more details...

Good modding,
neil

So far so good.. as they say:

Hardware:
Intel DQ77KB bios 0056
I3-3240 (TDP55)
Graphics is the internal HD 2500
SSD Samsung 850 Evo
Bluetooth Module

One issue so far. I did the old MultiBeast and tried to match the settings with what I read up on was good for the DQ77KB.

I did pick GraphicsEnabler=Yes in Multibeast... but something is not quite right. When I boot via the harddrive without adding -x GraphicsEnabler=Yes, I get a multicolored snowy screen and Yosemite 10.10.3 stops in it's tracks

If I enter the command it boots and flickers slightly for 2 secs when I'm at the password screen prompt and also flickers for 2 seconds when I see the desktop screen. I also notice that for a few seconds it says Safe Boot in red for a few seconds in the upper right hand corner.

Now I have gone into /Extra/ and looked at the Chameleon text file and GraphicsEnabler is there with Yes..... Strange.

Any tips will be highly appreciated. Also comprehensive tips regarding what MultiBeast options might help that have to be onned or offed for this board and hardware. I'm not the most technical person, so I do apologise.

TRIM 10.10.3 is enabled

Attachments

• IMG_20150703_122700.jpg
    IMG_20150703_122700.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_20150703_122615.jpg
    IMG_20150703_122615.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 141
Here is some more information

Attachments

• IMG_20150703_143538.jpg
    IMG_20150703_143538.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 146
Noob I am.. Of course going -x will boot me into Safe mode... now I have to work out how to get the graphics working properly...

So.. Safe Mode gives me a desktop

with or without GraphicsEnabler=Yes

Now I can see from reading threads that there have been issues with the HD2500 in the past?

Well you would be much better off if your CPU supported Intel HD4000 graphics. The i3-3225 or i3-3245 would be the ones of choice.

OS X does not have support for Intel HD2500 graphics. However there may now be a way to improve on the situation by using the FakePCIID method. Use the Search function.

Good modding,
neil

Edit: or take a look at this solution: http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...ge-hd2500-full-resolution-qe-ci-10-8-3-a.html

There maybe more... continue the Search...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back