Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've been following this website for a while now, researching a lot about component compatibility, config problems, etc. for my first actual hackingtosh build.

I have some experience building pc's a few years back, but I haven't done this in the 5 years that I've owned my macbook pro, so I'm a bit rusty. I figured I'd just post my suggested configuration here, asking whether anyone expects any problems with it.

What I'm trying to accomplish is the following:
- An HTPC case which fits nicely in my cabinet, dimensions are critical with regular screen for day-to-day stuff and tv for entertainment.
- Powerful system, but I don't intent to overclock it, that can last a few years without major upgrading.
- Dual boot with windows for engineering programs (Pro/Engineer, Siemens NX, ...) and occasional gaming

These components are what I've selected (links go to my preferred store):

Case:
- Silverstone Grandia GD04B - Alternate.be
- Silverstone Grandia GD06B - Alternate.be
> The GD06 is preferred for looks, but it's hot-swap bays collide with suggested PSU. I'd figure since I don't need them, I would just remove those (simple screws) and put a plastic cover in the hole on the front from an old pc.
> Dimensions are critical. No cases bigger than 440mm x 150mm x 350mm (WxHxD)

PSU:
- Fractal Design Newton R3 600W - Alternate.be
> 80Plus platinum certified
> Silent, fan only starts when above certain temperature
> Semi-modular (has ATX connectors and 2x 6+2 PCI-E connectors on fixed cable, the rest is modular)

Motherboard:
- Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H - Alternate.be
> mATX form factor to fit in case
> enough USB ports for my needs (need at least 6)

CPU:
- Intel Core I7-3770 - Alternate.be
> A lot cheaper than the k-version and I won't be overclocking it anyway (3.4GHz vs 3.5GHz won't make much of a difference I suspect?)
> Question: is the stock intel boxed cooler sufficient for this? I can only use coolers up to 70mm in height.

GPU:
- EVGA GTX 680 SC Signature - Alternate.be
> powerful enough to last a few years, yet not overly expensive
> cooling exhausts to rear of case, as suggested per case manual

Memory:
- 16GB (2x8GB) 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance LP - Alternate.be
> this can be expanded to 32GB if necessary in the future
> low profile to fit in case

Hard drives:
- OCZ VTX3-25SAT3-120G.20 (120GB SSD) - Alternate.be
- Western Digital WD20EZRX 2TB - Alternate.be
> both split at 60/40 ratio (biggest part for OS X)
> does this SSD require the 4k block size fix?

Optical drive:
- LG BH10LS38 Bluray - Alternate.be
> It is an HTPC...

Display:
- LG22EN43T-B (1920x1080 display through DVI-D) - Alternate.be
- Samsung TV (1080p through HDMI)
> does DVI-D connection work properly in OS X?
> are there any problems connecting 2 displays like this?
> I want a small 1080p display (22" or smaller)

Sound:
- Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 USB audio interface - Thomann.de
> I want to use this for my bass guitar in Garageband/Logic
> I also want to use this as default output to my speakers, but does anyone know if it also requires the voodooHDA (which I heard bad things about?) or other audio fixes? Will this conflict with the fixes to get motherboard audio working?
> Does audio routing with soundflower work with the fixes?

Do you expect any problems with this setup? Anything special I need to look at? I thank everyone in advance for any suggestions.

I've been following this website for a while now, researching a lot about component compatibility, config problems, etc. for my first actual hackingtosh build.

I have some experience building pc's a few years back, but I haven't done this in the 5 years that I've owned my macbook pro, so I'm a bit rusty. I figured I'd just post my suggested configuration here, asking whether anyone expects any problems with it.

What I'm trying to accomplish is the following:
- An HTPC case which fits nicely in my cabinet, dimensions are critical with regular screen for day-to-day stuff and tv for entertainment.
- Powerful system, but I don't intent to overclock it, that can last a few years without major upgrading.
- Dual boot with windows for engineering programs (Pro/Engineer, Siemens NX, ...) and occasional gaming

Do you expect any problems with this setup? Anything special I need to look at? I thank everyone in advance for any suggestions.
I don't see anything to stand out that won't work at all. I have seen a recomendation for the same LG BDR you list ending in a 30 instead of 38, but the one you link will probably work also. The Pioneer BDR-208DBK is also on your preferred site but is 15 Eu more.
Also, I would go with a Samsung Pro rather than the OWC - http://www.alternate.be/Samsung/Samsung+MZ-7PD128BW/html/product/1038275/? but again it is more expensive and personal preference rather than anything else.

I would definitely suggest you get a SSD for each OS reather than installing WinX and OS X on the same drive.
I used an nMedia PC 600B case because it had a nice blank front rather than blue USB 3.0 ports showing

Thanks for your suggestions.

That samsung SSD is definitely a good recommendation. Seems to be getting better reviews and benchmarks for not that much more money... People seem to like the samsung drives more, while the OCZ has mixed reception.
I understand why a different drive for each OS is useful, but €125,- more is a bit too expensive for me. I'm on OS X 90% of the time now, so I don't really want to spend that money for something I won't be using very often. Maybe a smaller drive for each is an option, but then speeds seem to go down a lot in benchmarks.

I just picked the cheapest 8x or higher bluray drive I could find. Maybe I'll go for a combo drive that only reads bluray. I don't know yet. Pioneer seems like a good drive though.

Then I guess the last question that I really need an answer to is this:
Does anyone have experience with external audio interfaces and the multibeast fixes for internal audio?

Then I guess the last question that I really need an answer to is this:
Does anyone have experience with external audio interfaces and the multibeast fixes for internal audio?

Just install the ALC audio driver for your mainboard with MB and you should be OK. Personally, I create a DSDT and edit it to inject the correct codec rather than using the DSDT free version which installs an injector in SLE in addition to the modded AppleHDA kext.

I use a toslink cable and the S/PDIF out to my media center equipment and it works just fine.

Either case has 3 120mm fans pre-installed. Do you think I would need more?

I'm using the Silverstone Grandia GD06B case in my HacHTPC build, and it looks like a 2nd AVR in my home theater setup. :thumbup:

Thanks for the link. Somehow I missed that thread in my search.
Seems like the Scarlett 2i2 and a few other Focusrite interfaces work, so I'm guessing the 2i4 shouldn't be a problem either.

I'm using the Silverstone Grandia GD06B case in my HacHTPC build, and it looks like a 2nd AVR in my home theater setup. :thumbup:
Good to know! That's what I'm going for ;) I really like the brushed aluminium front. It matches my Denon amp perfectly (at least in pictures, as I don't have the case yet).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back