i5-10500
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
For me it was when Tim Cook talked about "the competition" and the direction they are taking
making computers into tablets and tablets into computers.

TRS 2013-10-23 at 11.12.37 AM.jpg

Wonder if he was talking about Microsoft and Windoze 8 by any chance? :yawn:

Biggest highlight was Mavericks being released for free. Very bold move by Apple, although willing to bet anyone installing it on a non-current machine will find performance running really slow (thereby getting them thinking about upgrading). But would much, much, MUCH rather pay a premium for the new OS - I'd HAPPILY pay the same price as a Microsoft offering - if it ran on any machine without the need for hacking.

Apple's problem about competition is that they don't seem to take it seriously. In one swing, Apple could literally destroy Microsoft by just releasing an OS that isn't hardware dependent. Yeah, I know we all build our hackintoshes, but Auntie Mabel or Grandpa Joe doesn't have that wherewithal (nor do the vast majority of folks out there) so if you want the Apple "experience" you're roped into buying horrifically overpriced hardware. And to be fair, hardware wise they haven't been pushing the envelope for a few years now.

Case in point, I've been holding out for the ipad mini with retina for a while now... and it's $500 with 32gb and no way to upgrade it?!? C'mon Apple - not a smart move when similar mini tablets are going for over 30% less! (Okay, they might not have the sharpness of a retina display, but still...) I'd consider $500 if it had an SD slot, but if you're locking me into a mere 32gb (Disappears fast when you add some music or movies) then $500 is outrageous.

Until the folks in Cupertino ease off on the elitist "people will pay what we want, because we're the best" attitude, Apple is always going to be in the minority in terms of market share.

Even a $399 mini-itx or mid-tower PC with decent specs would bring millions more
to OS X. Apple could do this quite easily but because of the low profit margins and
their forward looking approach (we're now in the post pc era) they'll have nothing
to do with it. Maybe though, if lower priced / specced iPhones are a success in China
they could possibly produce an entry level small mac/pc for the masses. I don't see
too many who can go out and spend $2,999 on a new Mac Pro. Why would they even
need it to surf the net and check email ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back