3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
  5. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
After years of working pefectly, the computer (High Sierra 10.13.6) cannot finish restart. Clover page loads and selects my hdd. Apple icon shows and progress bar appears. Progress bar gets to about 75% then screen goes black. (usually this is when my 3 monitors all fire up and we are open). Instead i get a spinning wheel that is interrupted every so often by the cursor appearing. This turns into a solid wheel after a while, seems like it is in a loop of some sort. Tried swapping boot drive with backup to no avail. 980 TI Graphics card/x99 Gigabyte motherboard Intel i9 8950.

TL;DR Replace your 980 Ti with one of these supported (through Big Sur) Kepler cards. Then uninstall the Web drivers. Do not buy any Titan card that is Maxwell based. It won't work.
  • GTX Titan (GK110)
  • GTX Titan Black (GK110)
  • GTX Titan Z
  • GTX 780/Ti
Here's an Ebay seller with a new in box 780 Ti.
If you have to stay with High Sierra or can upgrade to Mojave or Catalina, this may be the best way to go. If you can upgrade to Monterey, then an RX 6600XT for about the same price makes the most sense (8GB of Vram vs. 3GB) and will have macOS 13 compatibility.

Last edited:
Do you think it is the video card? not sure what TL;DR means. How would I uninstall the Web drivers? won't boot up
hoping to stay on high sierra

why will 780 TI work if 980 TI doesnt

Because they are different and Apple selected what can be supported.
Just ordered

SAPPHIRE Radeon 11265-05-20G Pulse RX 580 8GB GDDR5 Dual HDMI/ DVI-D/ Dual DP OC with Backplate (UEFI) PCI-E

Will installing this solve my issue (theoretically)?

Opened options in Clover and turned off use web drivers, and got the computer to boot up. Yeah! Resolve is not working, but mostly everything else is. Clunky but at least I know what the issue is. Hopefully AMD card is the answer.

Hopefully AMD card is the answer.
Yes, that will work fine. You can even upgrade to a newer macOS version, unlike your 980 Ti which would be stuck at HS forever.

Do you think it is the video card?
The signed certificate for the Web drivers has expired, that's why the card no longer works.

not sure what TL;DR
= you didn't have the time to read the long version so here's the short version of what you need to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back