Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-H270-WiFi
CPU
Intel I5-7500
Graphics
Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 low-profile
Nvidia drivers are reporting a different OS version after this update, even though "About This Mac" still says 10.13.6

This was a big security update.

Has Nvidia just shut everything down on the Mac side? We assume they can still write updated drivers for High Sierra.

Did too many things change in that update?

Is there a workaround?

Install WhateverGreen if you aren't using it, and add the boot flag ngfxcompat=1 to your config.plist. You will get the "now using default graphics driver" warning on your next boot but the drivers will load and work fine. Just check the "don't warn me again for this version" and sit tight.

NVidia's drivers will only load on one specific build (not just version number) of the OS; security updates always change the build number and cause the drivers not to load even though nothing may have changed relating to graphics at all.

There's another method to edit the Info.plist of the drivers with the current macOS build number, but you have to disable SIP for that; WhateverGreen just bypasses it (don't try updating to 10.14 or anything though!!!)

Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 9.24.58 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 9.25.54 PM.png

inb4 "security". like the tariffs put on Canada are of "national security". lettuce beans cereal for a minute. it's about money. there's money involved in the development of graphics. apple hates Nvidia and wants money out of them one way or another, which is what the "security" is.

Install WhateverGreen if you aren't using it, and add the boot flag ngfxcompat=1 to your config.plist. You will get the "now using default graphics driver" warning on your next boot but the drivers will load and work fine. Just check the "don't warn me again for this version" and sit tight.

NVidia's drivers will only load on one specific build (not just version number) of the OS; security updates always change the build number and cause the drivers not to load even though nothing may have changed relating to graphics at all.

There's another method to edit the Info.plist of the drivers with the current macOS build number, but you have to disable SIP for that; WhateverGreen just bypasses it (don't try updating to 10.14 or anything though!!!)

View attachment 362075 View attachment 362076

Yep this worked for me. Thank you :)

Thank you. I will keep your post handy for future reference. Just as I was about to apply it, NVIDIA released an updated driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back