Contribute
Register

High Sierra Random Freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just tested my system again and switched only my USB Mouse / Keyboard dongle to a USB2 Port. After 3 hours the system freezed again. Then i changed back to a USB3 Port and since that (7 days) the system is stabel. No freezes anymore!!

So I'm pretty sure that the USBInjectAll.kext in conjunction with USB2 Ports are responsible for the freezes.

Glad you got everything stable, @hanzfranz!

I ended up trying Windows and being totally fed up with it almost immediately. I've downgraded to 10.12 and the machine has been rock solid for 4 days now so I'm optimistic that whatever was causing the crashes is indeed High Sierra specific. If I do decide to try upgrading again, I'll be sure to think long and hard about USB issues :).

I am getting random freezes every now and then. Usually happen when system is idle, or I am running a video file (online/VLC). When left idle (I have set it to never turn off monitor, never put hard drives to sleep, prevent computer from sleeping automatically when display is off), it usually hangs. I posted a kernel panic report previously, post #80 on this thread. Has anyone been able to identify the problems other than USB? Has @Thireus left the forum?

Hi
I had the same problem with my GA-Z97X-UD3 High Sierra build and solved it by removing any expansion card from any slot that shares bandwidth with the PCI Express x 16 slot, which is occupied by your GPU.
Bandwidth sharing/lane reduction does not pose a problem in Windows, for High Sierra though it is a huge problem with my mobo at least. I also recommend to switch aggressive link power control off in bios. If your bios has that feature it will be at the top of the SATA configuration section.
I have also attached my Clover folder. Of particular interest should be the kext GA-Z97X-UD3H-USB.kext in the other folder.
The info.plist file of that kext contains the complete USB configuration for this build, obviating the need to use USBinjectAll.
Enjoy

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Glad you got everything stable, @hanzfranz!

I ended up trying Windows and being totally fed up with it almost immediately. I've downgraded to 10.12 and the machine has been rock solid for 4 days now so I'm optimistic that whatever was causing the crashes is indeed High Sierra specific. If I do decide to try upgrading again, I'll be sure to think long and hard about USB issues :).
Can you please tell me how did you get Sierra? I've been trying to download it for a week now without success. It doesn't show up in the App Store..

I'm getting the exact same random freezes as @thefsb (hard freeze, no kernel panic, can't ssh in).

I'm pretty sure that its a fairly recent thing too - My Hackintosh has always run High Sierra, but these freezes have only happened recently.

Off the top of my head, i've changed the following
- Upgraded to VMWare Fusion 10
- Upgraded Clover to 4411
- macOS 10.13.3 update/supplementary update

Before this my hackintosh was totally stable and working perfectly, so its very annoying.

I found something odd. I was trying to make sure it isn't anything related to CPU or memory, so I ran Prime95 overnight and it worked just fine. The system did not freeze at all during the entire night. I repeated this last night too to make sure it isn't a one off and it worked. Further I have ran memtest all day now, and it did not freeze again. Both the memtest and Prime95 ran without any errors (memtest passed). It seems to me that if at least one core is loaded moderately (as by memtest), then the system does not hang. If the system is near idle however, e.g. watching videos online, then it freezes.

I have generally noticed the system freezes while playing video files (don't know if audio only files will hang it too), but today I was playing videos nearly all day on YouTube/VLC while running memtest, and it worked just fine! I suspect it might have something to do with Intel's speed shift or speed step technology. I have disabled both in the BIOS, and would see if the system hangs now.

Any suggestions regarding this are appreciated.
@itwas thanks a lot. If it hangs now, I'll downgrade to Sierra.

When trying to download, it says "We could not complete your purchase. This version of macOS 10.12.6 cannot be installed on this computer".

So disabling both the SpeedStep/Speed Shift together, or individually did not work. May be its FakeSMC? I installed the vanilla SMC from Rehabman's website to no avail. Any suggestions? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back