Contribute
Register

High Sierra Random Freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also looking forward to getting this figured out. I am a colorist and I’ve had to completely adjust my client sessions around avoiding these KPs. The key thing for me is not stressing the gpu too hard and avoiding iTunes all together. That might be a separate kp, but iTunes = death right now. If I play YouTube videos while I’m rendering footage, same deal.

Some freezes can be related to your AVX offset. Especially if you get them when music is played. Follow these instructions, regarding the AVX offset part: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...d-extended-guide.229353/page-371#post-1672709

Let me know if it worked.

I've seen all your messages on this Forum and I understand your frustration... I've been fighting these KPs (freezes for months now).

If you go to /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports folder you will find in there several Kernel_*.panic files (these are KP dumps).

Could you please upload your Kernel_*.panic files and attach them as a ZIP archive in reply here please? That would help!

Thanks.
I copied all *.panic files and zipped them. There were quite a few!

Attachments

• KP Report.zip
    77.5 KB · Views: 81
I copied all *.panic files and zipped them. There were quite a few!

Oh wow. That's more than a few. Clearly shows that it's related to your NVidia drivers. Maybe you should give a try to the latest drivers (even if they lag) just to see if you are still getting any KPs.

Are you overclocked?

org.voodoo.driver.VoodooTSCSync 1.1 <-- This is not needed anymore since we can patch our own BIOS for MSR0xE2

as.vit9696.Lilu 1.2.1 <-- This kext is outdated, newest version is 1.2.2, https://github.com/vit9696/Lilu/releases

org.tw.CodecCommander 2.6.2 <-- No idea what this is
org.slice.IntelCPUMonitor 1.2.2 <-- No idea what this is
org.mozodojo.W836x 1.3.0 <-- No idea what this is

org.kozlek.GeforceSensor 1.2.2 <-- You shouldn't use this

Last edited:
I think the 10.13.4 update has cured my freezes, either that or changing my SMBIOS to 18,2. No freezes in almost 48hrs now.

Oh wow. That's more than a few. Clearly shows that it's related to your NVidia drivers. Maybe you should give a try to the latest drivers (even if they lag) just to see if you are still getting any KPs.

Are you overclocked?

org.voodoo.driver.VoodooTSCSync 1.1 <-- This is not needed anymore since we can patch our own BIOS for MSR0xE2

as.vit9696.Lilu 1.2.1 <-- This kext is outdated, newest version is 1.2.2, https://github.com/vit9696/Lilu/releases

Thanks for the suggestion. After the BIOS 1301, MSR register can be unlocked directly. Is there still a need to patch the BIOS?

Thanks for the suggestion. After the BIOS 1301, MSR register can be unlocked directly. Is there still a need to patch the BIOS?

Yes I've noticed, but you will still need to patch the BIOS.

Are you overclocked?

I just patched the BIOS, and deleted the GeforeSensor.kext.
For the other kexts, I am using the EFI provided by a user from another forum, and he had these kexts. After shifting to his EFI from KPG's, the random freezes which resulted in no kernel panics disappeared. I am largely still a noob when it comes to hackintoshing, so I just followed his advise (and it has largely worked).
I am not overclocked. Just shifted to the latest Nvidia 387.10.10.10.30.103 drivers. The lag is so inconvenient.
There are several new AMD Vega cards available on eBay, so if it turns out that AMD GPUs are stable, I'd move to them!

I just patched the BIOS, and deleted the GeforeSensor.kext.
For the other kexts, I am using the EFI provided by a user from another forum, and he had these kexts. After shifting to his EFI from KPG's, the random freezes which resulted in no kernel panics disappeared. I am largely still a noob when it comes to hackintoshing, so I just followed his advise (and it has largely worked).
I am not overclocked. Just shifted to the latest Nvidia 387.10.10.10.30.103 drivers. The lag is so inconvenient.
There are several new AMD Vega cards available on eBay, so if it turns out that AMD GPUs are stable, I'd move to them!

Wait a few days with these drivers please, and see if it resolves your KPs. This is what I'm doing now as well, but I only have 14h of uptime. And yes, these lags are really annoying.

I believe the lags can be resolved by patching these drivers. I've seen that NVidia has added a couple of locks in the versions above x.106. IF the KPs/Freezes are resolved in this latest NVidia driver version, I'll try to investigate and come up with a patch that fixes the lags...

Now it is possible that the "locks" that Nvidia has added to their code and cause the lags is a dirty fix to solve these KPs... :( in which case we will have to choose between lags with no KPs and KPs without lags... But I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:
1 day and 22 hours uptime. No KP so far with the latest NVidia driver.

vit9696 has just released a patch to fix Nvidia driver lags: https://github.com/lvs1974/NvidiaGraphicsFixup/commit/2548a94bce9fe38e855ca17f19bea05978938cd7

Gonna try the patch and reboot.

Edit: The patch fixed the lags. Let's see now if the KPs are also gone for good with the latest Nvidia drivers.
Thanks a lot for this pointer. I haven't experienced any KPs either, but the lag made me almost wanna go back to those KPs! Gonna try with this patch now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back