Contribute
Register

High Sierra on Ivy Bridge architecture: macOS runs randomly, then crashes and shuts down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ono

Motherboard
MSI B250 PC MATE
CPU
i5-7500
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
But this only happens if macOS is installed on ssd.
I use a sss Samsund 250 GB. I noticed that this disc did not have trim support for Apple. To fix it, I gave the command in Terminal: sudo trimforce enable. From now on the problem started: macOS works, sometimes for two days - but normally just for minutes - than crashes. When it hapens, I can no longer access the keyboard or mouse. Concomitant, the red LED that indicates that the processor is working is lit without flickering (as it does when working normally). Then, after about two minutes, the computer shuts down on its own. Thinking that the trimforce enable command was to blame, I returned with the trimforce disable command. Then I set Kernel-> Quirks-> ThirdPartyDrives = YES from opencore.
But nothing has improved.
If I install macOS on the HDD, it works flawlessly. But it no longer has the same high speed. What can I do? Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
I searched and found on the net the following: High Sierra, Mojave and Catalina installed on ssd freezes during operation due to the APFS partition which ssd cannot manage properly. But I did not find a solution. Is it true? If true, can this shortcoming be addressed? I ask those who have the solution, to help me with the necessary indications. Otherwise, I will have to go back to the Sierra, where I did not have this inconvenience.

Have you formatted the SSD as APFS or HFS+ (Mac OS Extended (Journaled))? The HDD will be automatically formatted as HFS+.

In High Sierra there is an option to have the SSD formatted as HFS+. You need to make sure you follow the options shown in Item 9. in the High Sierra Installation Guide - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ierra-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.235474/

It is important you follow the optional details set out in under this item if you want the SSD performance in macOS.

Since High Sierra macOS has looked to use the new APFS format for any SSD/NVME drives, as that is what it enforces for its real Mac systems.

With the use of the APFS format a driver is usually required to have the APFS drive work correctly. Using the wrong apfs.efi driver can cause problems.

Trim is unlikely to be the cause of the issue you are facing.

In High Sierra there is an option to have the SSD formatted as HFS+. You need to make sure you follow the options shown in Item 9.
I found it! But unfortunately , I'm not using Unibest or Clover. How can I find this script? I'm familiar with OpenCore. What does this script? Can I manually follow the operations from this script? It' very important, because the freezing occurs on Mojave and Catalina installations too. So it can be helpful in these cases too.

Unfortunately the terminal command won't be helpful with either of those OS's. As the command doesn't work with Mojave or Catalina, only with High Sierra.

If you want to install Mojave or Catalina then you need to use the APFS format on an SSD or NVME drive. There is now way around that as far as I am aware.

You need to read and understand the process Item 9 requires you to follow, so you can skip the automatic APFS formatting process for High Sierra. It is just a matter of entering the Terminal command as listed in the guide, at the correct point in the installation process, rebooting your system and then installing High Sierra as normal.

Thank You! I will try a new installation of High Sierra as described in that tutorial, using Unibest and follow all indications. When I'm done, I will give answer.

I think I solved this problem, the accidental freezing of the operating system, when it has one of the High Sierra, Mojave or Catalina operating systems installed on it. This happened when I found that my operating system was freezing and when I managed to install High Sierra on the HFS + partition. After installing High Sierra on a disk exclusively on the hfs + partition, the operating system behaved as insecure as when it was installed normally, ie on the APFS partition. I then installed, on another ssd, macOS Mojave, but this behavior of freezing instantly, after various periods of time, was maintained. I then installed macOS Catalina on ssd, but the behavior of the operating system was the same. I use OpenCore-0.6.4 as a botloader. I thought then that the settings in OpenCore could be responsible for this behavior. I found that I did not generate ssdt correctly using the Pike script ssdtPRGen.sh. Only now do I understand how important CPU management is for an operating system. I generated ssdt using the Pike script, for each all the options, as follows:
./ssdtPRGen.sh -a CPU0 -a CPU1 -p i3-3225 -target 1 -x 1
I copied ssdt.aml:
$ cp -v /Users/ono/Library/ssdtPRGen/ssdt.aml /Volumes/EFI/OC/ACPI/
then I entered this ssdt.aml in /Volumes/EFI/OC/config.plist in the ACPI section , with the option enabled.
Then, in the section of config.plist: Kernel> Quirks> ThirdPartyDrives = YES.
In the section config.plist: UEFI > ReservedMemory > Item 0 > Enabled=YES.
This was the change made in OpenCore /Config.plist, and the system, in two days, running for about 12 hours (6 hours a day) did not freeze. Note that the operating system with hdd, works without these changes, without freezing. It seems that ssd is a little more pretentious. Thank you from the bottom of my heart to all those who helped me with an idea. All were valuable and guided me to the solution.
It seems that APFS partitions do not hinder the operation of ssd at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back