Contribute
Register

High Sierra isn't downloading correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GigaByte Z390 UD Rev 1.1
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 5500 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I have a Yosemite 10.10.3 install and it has issues downloading High Sierra. I tell it to download and about two seconds it completes.

I then run the command line to create an install USB and it say my High Sierra is borked.

"sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app --nointeraction"

The error message says. "/Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app does not appear to be a valid OS installer application"

I ran Get Info on the Installer app and it is only "21.3MB on disk" in size.
I tried moving the installer to the trash and then emptying the trash and redownloading high sierra from the app store, but I still get the same results.

Am I missing something/doing something wrong?

Any help will be greatly appreciated
-=Mark=-

I have a Yosemite 10.10.3 install and it has issues downloading High Sierra. I tell it to download and about two seconds it completes.

I then run the command line to create an install USB and it say my High Sierra is borked.

"sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app --nointeraction"

The error message says. "/Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app does not appear to be a valid OS installer application"

I ran Get Info on the Installer app and it is only "21.3MB on disk" in size.
I tried moving the installer to the trash and then emptying the trash and redownloading high sierra from the app store, but I still get the same results.

Am I missing something/doing something wrong?

Any help will be greatly appreciated
-=Mark=-
Try the following command in Terminal and then try to download again.
sudo softwareupdate --clear-catalog

Try the following command in Terminal and then try to download again.
sudo softwareupdate --clear-catalog

Doesn't seem to hwlp. But thanks.

I had the same problem when replacing the hard drive with a ssd in the imac of my parents.

Apparently some people get an installer app and not the full installation app.

There are several articles about this, the terminal command above did not solve the issue either.

Finally I found an article about an app which you can use as workaround:

https://mycyberuniverse.com/macos/how-download-complete-macos-high-sierra-installer-app.html

I'm not sure about using 3rd party apps. I was hoping I could move the installer file to the proper folder and pray it worked. I guess that's just asking too much.

I'm surprised this issue isn't more widespread. But I find a lot of users with the problem and using 3rd party apps to work around the issue.

I'll look around some more and see if I can find a solution. But thanks for the help.

Doesn't seem to hwlp. But thanks.

I'm not sure about using 3rd party apps. I was hoping I could move the installer file to the proper folder and pray it worked. I guess that's just asking too much.

I'm surprised this issue isn't more widespread. But I find a lot of users with the problem and using 3rd party apps to work around the issue.

I'll look around some more and see if I can find a solution. But thanks for the help.
Are you still able to boot to your original Yosemite? Or was that corrupted by the upload attempt?
If you can get back to Your Yosemite, try to upgrade that to El Capitan and then try again to download HS into that.

Are you still able to boot to your original Yosemite? Or was that corrupted by the upload attempt?
If you can get back to Your Yosemite, try to upgrade that to El Capitan and then try again to download HS into that.

Yosemite is fine. I'm trying make am Installer for my other rig. I can try creating El Capitan installer next.

Bummer, I can't download El Capitan nor Sierra. Is there a link I can use? The app store takes me directly to High Sierra only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back