Contribute
Register

High Sierra HP Probook 4530s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I hit "Accept" and then exit/save/restart, with the USB inserted. It gives me the "Boot Device Not Found"

You probably do not have the required files on the USB in the required locations.
Or you're not using a USB2 port.
You should check the content of your USB and make sure you're using a USB2 port (probably good idea to stick with a USB2 flash drive that is relatively small, say 4GB).

Note that the BIOS update USB probably uses legacy boot, so check BIOS settings to be certain you have legacy boot enabled.

If you're not familiar with these things, why don't you update via Windows?
Windows 10 is very easy to install, and you can update BIOS by just running the BIOS updater .EXE.

You probably do not have the required files on the USB in the required locations.
Or you're not using a USB2 port.
You should check the content of your USB and make sure you're using a USB2 port (probably good idea to stick with a USB2 flash drive that is relatively small, say 4GB).

Note that the BIOS update USB probably uses legacy boot, so check BIOS settings to be certain you have legacy boot enabled.

If you're not familiar with these things, why don't you update via Windows?
Windows 10 is very easy to install, and you can update BIOS by just running the BIOS updater .EXE.

Like I said, I don't know what the signature file is supposed to be called but all the other files are in the folders where they're supposed to be. There are 4 USB ports on the 4530s and only 1 of them is USB3; I tried all of them. I'm not sure I even have an old USB stick around but the USB3 ones are advertised as backwards-compatible, right? And I had Legacy Boot enabled.

I'm installing Windows right now, which seems to be happening without a hitch

Like I said, I don't know what the signature file is supposed to be called but all the other files are in the folders where they're supposed to be. There are 4 USB ports on the 4530s and only 1 of them is USB3; I tried all of them. I'm not sure I even have an old USB stick around but the USB3 ones are advertised as backwards-compatible, right? And I had Legacy Boot enabled.

Use a USB2 stick.

So much for that. It hangs installing Windows, first showing "Windows needs to restart to continue" for about 5 minutes then a blank screen, then "your computer has encountered an error"

I tried it another couple times, powering off after that restart prompt, thinking it might pick up where it left off, but it didn't.

I also found a thing here:
about powercfg settings so Windows should speed up writing to an SSD. I get the same result whether it's set to Balanced or High Performance.

Should I conclude at some point that there's something wrong with the MB?

I'm installing Windows right now, which seems to be happening without a hitch

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually on the 5th try I was able to install Windows not to my SSD but to a HDD partition I had set aside for Linux. I got into Windows and was able to update the BIOS and tried to install macOS and got the same result. I have some old USB sticks around but they are 4GB and I wonder if buying one of those things makes any sense. Maybe I'll see if I can buy USB2 drives on Amazon

Actually on the 5th try I was able to install Windows not to my SSD but to a HDD partition I had set aside for Linux. I got into Windows and was able to update the BIOS and tried to install macOS and got the same result. I have some old USB sticks around but they are 4GB and I wonder if buying one of those things makes any sense. Maybe I'll see if I can buy USB2 drives on Amazon

You can find 8 or 16gb USB sticks in many places. Usually less expensive than USB3 devices too.

You can find 8 or 16gb USB sticks in many places. Usually less expensive than USB3 devices too.

OK, I just went through the whole install media creation thing over again with an official USB2 stick, using a USB2 port on the 4440s, then trying each of the USB2 ports on the 4530s, and I'm getting the same thing: about 20 minutes of those IOUSB errors, then a white screen.

I want to thank you sincerely for how much time you've spent trying to help me with this. Are we out of things to try? I'm typing right now on the Windows OS I was able to install on this machine but I think if we're completely out of ideas then I might try to find some other machine to put this SSD and memory into.

OK, I just went through the whole install media creation thing over again with an official USB2 stick, using a USB2 port on the 4440s, then trying each of the USB2 ports on the 4530s, and I'm getting the same thing: about 20 minutes of those IOUSB errors, then a white screen.

I want to thank you sincerely for how much time you've spent trying to help me with this. Are we out of things to try? I'm typing right now on the Windows OS I was able to install on this machine but I think if we're completely out of ideas then I might try to find some other machine to put this SSD and memory into.

Make sure BIOS is up-to-date.

You will need to attach PR files as per FAQ.
Also, your profile is missing important details. Please fix as per FAQ.

And...
From where did you download macOS?
On what hardware did you create your USB installer?

Make sure BIOS is up-to-date.

You will need to attach PR files as per FAQ.
Also, your profile is missing important details. Please fix as per FAQ.

And...
From where did you download macOS?
On what hardware did you create your USB installer?

The PR files and the answers to these questions are earlier in this thread. I updated the BIOS, got Windows running and created install USB drives from both a Hackintosh Probook 4440s and another newer Hackintosh, mentioned earlier. The installer files were also downloaded on those same machines that I used to create the USBs.

The PR files and the answers to these questions are earlier in this thread. I updated the BIOS, got Windows running and created install USB drives from both a Hackintosh Probook 4440s and another newer Hackintosh, mentioned earlier. The installer files were also downloaded on those same machines that I used to create the USBs.

Any change requires new PR files. None attached.

Your old PR files were missing misc/preboot.log (you forgot to press F2). Please read the FAQ carefully.

Note: USBInjectAll.kext is not a requirement for your hardware for the installer. OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi may work better than AptioMemoryFix-64.efi on certain hardware. Also, you should check your BIOS settings. Make sure you're using a USB2 stick in the front right USB2 port.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back