Contribute
Register

High Sierra HP Probook 4530s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I'm booting UEFI. I've made like 5 of these things before, so I know the process. I know it's not an issue for you but the HP BIOS update utility simply doesn't work. Maybe it's outdated or something but it just asks if I want to format the USB and then quits. I'm talking to HP support but of course they have no idea, so if you have any idea how I might update the BIOS, I'd appreciate it.

The BIOS update utility from HP works just fine.

You have two choices:
- create a USB with it for updating via BIOS UI
OR
- update the machine you're running the BIOS update program on, directly from Windows

Obviously the former can be used if you don't have Windows running on the 4530s, and the latter can be used only if you have Windows running on the 4530s.

I can't get the BIOS update to work. I literally tried every possible update from Windows 7 forward, including downloading a UEFI Bios update (and then changing the current bios to UEFI) and all I get is this

biosbooterror.jpg

The BIOS update utility from HP works just fine.

You have two choices:
- create a USB with it for updating via BIOS UI
OR
- update the machine you're running the BIOS update program on, directly from Windows

Obviously the former can be used if you don't have Windows running on the 4530s, and the latter can be used only if you have Windows running on the 4530s.

I can't get the BIOS update to work. I literally tried every possible update from Windows 7 forward, including downloading a UEFI Bios update (and then changing the current bios to UEFI) and all I get is this

View attachment 363864

Put the BIOS file on a FAT or FAT32 USB (USB2). Then initiate the BIOS update from the BIOS setup.

Keep in mind that to boot Windows in UEFI mode, you must install Windows in UEFI mode (Win7 requires special procedures to create a UEFI capable USB, Win10 is default enabled for UEFI). The Windows setup must be run in UEFI mode in order to install Windows for UEFI.

Put the BIOS file on a FAT or FAT32 USB (USB2). Then initiate the BIOS update from the BIOS setup.

Keep in mind that to boot Windows in UEFI mode, you must install Windows in UEFI mode (Win7 requires special procedures to create a UEFI capable USB, Win10 is default enabled for UEFI). The Windows setup must be run in UEFI mode in order to install Windows for UEFI.

Yes I tried this but nothing in my BIOS looks at all like the HP help files that I can find online. I was starting to wonder if there is something related to the Security settings that won't allow me to update? See attached - if I follow their instructions to get to the page where I should be able to update the BIOS, I get a System Diagnostics page with 4 options, none of which is to update the BIOS

Should I create a BIOS administrator password?

securitypage.jpg
system_diagnostics.jpg

View attachment 363884 View attachment 363884

Yes I tried this but nothing in my BIOS looks at all like the HP help files that I can find online. I was starting to wonder if there is something related to the Security settings that won't allow me to update? See attached - if I follow their instructions to get to the page where I should be able to update the BIOS, I get a System Diagnostics page with 4 options, none of which is to update the BIOS

Should I create a BIOS administrator password?

View attachment 363887 View attachment 363888

View attachment 363884 View attachment 363884

You should see "Update System BIOS" on the first BIOS setup screen (File).
Access with Esc, then F10.

You should see "Update System BIOS" on the first BIOS setup screen (File).
Access with Esc, then F10.

It's there but it's a checkbox and checking it doesn't do anything, whether I click "Save Changes and Exit" on this screen or save from one of the other screens

BIOS_Setup_screen.jpg

Highlight the option and press the ENTER key.

Hitting the enter key does nothing but check and uncheck the BIOS option. If I Save on that page, or make any other changes and Save (which you gotta do like 3 times) it shows me the screen here. I checked the paths of the files on the USB and they are correct, although I don't know what the SIGNATURE FILE is supposed to look like. I get the same result (Boot Device Not Found, above) whether I reboot directly, shut down/power off/reboot, or reboot into BIOS and use F9 to select the USB drive. I also powered off and held the power button down for 30 seconds without the battery or the power cable connected.

Should I throw this thing out the window? I was looking on ebay and I noticed there's an HP Probook 6550b which would allow me to use the same memory, SSD / caddy and wifi card, but it looks like that model isn't listed in your Probook guide. Is that model incompatible for some reason?

updatesystembios.jpg

Hitting the enter key does nothing but check and uncheck the BIOS option. If I Save on that page, or make any other changes and Save (which you gotta do like 3 times) it shows me the screen here. I checked the paths of the files on the USB and they are correct, although I don't know what the SIGNATURE FILE is supposed to look like. I get the same result (Boot Device Not Found, above) whether I reboot directly, shut down/power off/reboot, or reboot into BIOS and use F9 to select the USB drive. I also powered off and held the power button down for 30 seconds without the battery or the power cable connected.

Should I throw this thing out the window? I was looking on ebay and I noticed there's an HP Probook 6550b which would allow me to use the same memory, SSD / caddy and wifi card, but it looks like that model isn't listed in your Probook guide. Is that model incompatible for some reason?

View attachment 363906

When I press enter on my 4530s, I get the screen you attached.
From there, you should follow the instructions (you should have the FAT32 USB already created).

When I press enter on my 4530s, I get the screen you attached.
From there, you should follow the instructions (you should have the FAT32 USB already created).

Yeah, I hit "Accept" and then exit/save/restart, with the USB inserted. It gives me the "Boot Device Not Found"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back