Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte B85M-D3H
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
GT 740
I've installed High Sierra 10.13.1, using SIP 0x67 at all times. Once the installation is complete and bootable with everything working perfectly, I set SIP to 0x0 fully enabled. As soon as I set 0x0 and reboot, all audio devices disappear. The only way to make them re-appear is to reset SIP to 0x1 or 0x3 or 0x67, and reboot. Then audio devices return and it all works perfectly. I thought this was an audio problem, but Toleda told me that the problem is that SIP is broken, and the loss of the audio devices with SIP at 0x0, is just a symptom of that problem. Does anyone have any idea how to resolve this? Thanks:)

I've installed High Sierra 10.13.1, using SIP 0x67 at all times. Once the installation is complete and bootable with everything working perfectly, I set SIP to 0x0 fully enabled. As soon as I set 0x0 and reboot, all audio devices disappear. The only way to make them re-appear is to reset SIP to 0x1 or 0x3 or 0x67, and reboot. Then audio devices return and it all works perfectly. I thought this was an audio problem, but Toleda told me that the problem is that SIP is broken, and the loss of the audio devices with SIP at 0x0, is just a symptom of that problem. Does anyone have any idea how to resolve this? Thanks:)
Don't enable SIP as this will prevent unsigned kexts from loading.

With the AppleHDA copy you attached in this post
$ codesign -v ...AudDevSIP/AudDevsNotPresent SIP 0x0/AppleHDA.kext
...AudDevSIP/AudDevsNotPresent SIP 0x0/AppleHDA.kext: a sealed resource is missing or invalid

Don't enable SIP as this will prevent unsigned kexts from loading.

Thanks for your reply. It worked fine in Sierra with SIP enabled. Also, it's only audio that is affected by enabling SIP

With the AppleHDA copy you attached in this post

...AudDevSIP/AudDevsNotPresent SIP 0x0/AppleHDA.kext: a sealed resource is missing or invalid

Thanks for your reply, and for looking into this. Unfortunately I've never heard of "sealed resources", so I don't really know how to proceed. Was the other copy of AppleHDA OK then? (the one with SIP disabled) The only difference was booting with SIP at 0x0 or 0x1.

Thanks for your reply, and for looking into this. Unfortunately I've never heard of "sealed resources", so I don't really know how to proceed. Was the other copy of AppleHDA OK then? (the one with SIP disabled) The only difference was booting with SIP at 0x0 or 0x1.
The 2 are the same. Would you have modified the kext somehow?

The 2 are the same. Would you have modified the kext somehow?

No, I didn't modify the kext, I just did a check on my Sierra 10.12.6 install, which works 100% with SIP enabled 0x0. I ran the "codesign -v" command on the AppleHDA kext there and it also said "a sealed resource is missing or invalid"

This is a copy from Terminal:
"sierra$ codesign -v /Users/sierra/Desktop/AppleHDA.kext
/Users/sierra/Desktop/AppleHDA.kext: a sealed resource is missing or invalid"

Last edited:
No, I didn't modify the kext, I just did a check on my Sierra 10.12.6 install, which works 100% with SIP enabled 0x0. I ran the "codesign -v" command on the AppleHDA kext there and it also said "a sealed resource is missing or invalid"

This is a copy from Terminal:
"sierra$ codesign -v /Users/sierra/Desktop/AppleHDA.kext
/Users/sierra/Desktop/AppleHDA.kext: a sealed resource is missing or invalid"
Replace in /S/L/E with this one and run
Code:
sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext
sudo kextcache -i /

Attachments

• 17b48.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 46
Replace in /S/L/E with this one and run
Code:
sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext
sudo kextcache -i /

Unfortunately audio devices disappeared permanently after replacing kext / running codes. Do you know if it's OK to run SIP permanently at 0x1, from a security / Internet point of view. If it is, that's what I will do, and if not I'll try again with High Sierra when I get a new PC, some day, and just stick with Sierra for now. Regardless, thanks very much for your help!!:)

Unfortunately audio devices disappeared permanently after replacing kext / running codes. Do you know if it's OK to run SIP permanently at 0x1, from a security / Internet point of view. If it is, that's what I will do, and if not I'll try again with High Sierra when I get a new PC, some day, and just stick with Sierra for now. Regardless, thanks very much for your help!!:)
Likely your method for enabling audio installs/replaces a patched AppleHDA.kext. Security wise SIP alone is a bit of a waste of time especially on hacks.

You might enable the application firewall and software sources gatekeeper in security settings, and use a non-admin account for your normal activities. Up to you if you use a different method to enable audio (eg Clover cache patching of vanilla kext) or allow unsigned kexts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back