GT220
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello all together!

I am planing to build next week my new High-End System.

The Setup:

Gigabyte X79-UD5 or X79S-UP5

Intel Xeon E1650 or i7-3930K

64 GB Corsair Venegance

6 x 512 GB Crucial M4 SSD

HighPoint RocketRAID 2720SGL SATA 6G

Radeon HD-6870

Enermax Platimax 800 Watt

Random LianLi Alu Case

I would like to install the OS on two M4's at the onboard Marvell 6G with Software RAID and the other 4 SSD's with RAID-0 on the RR2720 Controller.

Do you guys see any difficulties in my Setup?

Greeetz,
chimmy

Do you guys see any difficulties in my Setup?

Yeah, I would not RAID the boot drive. Use one for booting and normal use and the other for a bootable clone.

SSDs in RAID as a boot drive is a waste of time IMHO, and is asking for constant re-install of the OS and rebuilding of the RAID array, especially if you intend to overclock.

if your looking for graphics performance then a geforce card might be a better choice. like Going Bald said above a raid boot drive might not be the most stable thing, a boot ssd + the other drives in raid configs sounds like a more stable option. you also might consider a high capacity Hdd (2-3 TB), there not terribly expensive and it could function as a backup drive, that way you wouldn't waste ssd space purely on backups.

Personally I don't think x79 is a good idea at all. Too many issues with it not having any OSX support. No Sleep/Speedstep/Turbo/AGPM, USB3 issues even audio and lan issues.

Your better off building a good z77 system and use a good 6xx card like the 670 or 680. The ATI cards are not very good for OpenCL.

Also using 2 or more SATA3 SSDs in a software Raid0 on the chipset sata controller will reduce performance not increase it. The main sata onboard has a single PCIe lane at 5Gbps shared among all the sata ports. A SATA3 SSD can easily use that full bandwidth up therefor you would only be getting a theoretical 2.5Gbps to each SSD.

With that many drives, I would go RAID 5 or 6. Hell no to striping that many drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back