CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm a software developer and my wife is a photographer, so this build will primarily service those requirements, but it will also handle some gaming (secondary).

It will be a triple 1080p monitor setup (possibly triple 1440p later on) and I'll be looking to run at least one virtual machine and do some very heavy multi-tasking, while my wife will be using PhotoShop and possible doing some light video editing.

The plan is to run Mac for work-related things and boot Windows for gaming. I've chosen two SSDs to keep the boot drives separate and either share/split the HDD for file storage.

I was hoping to keep things under $1,500, but I don't want to sacrifice and I want the option to SLI or increase RAM in the future if I need to.

That being said, do these parts look like they will fulfill our requirements and be compatible with a Hackintosh build?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler
Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card
NZXT H440 (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Corsair RMx 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter

Last edited:
Be advised that Nvidia drivers will be required with for using GTX 1070. Nvidia has not release the drivers, yet, and they are not expected to before the Sierra 10.12.0 release which is expected some time around October 01, 2016. So, you'll need a back up plan for graphics.

I don't see any reason to have 1000W PSU. A 650-750 Watt PSU is plenty sufficient for your build. To be sure of your power nees, there are PSU calculators on the 'Net. Newegg also has one at their site.
http://images10.newegg.com/BizIntell/tool/psucalc/index.html

MyHero build (see link in my signature block) is similar to your system, and I'm using a 650 watt PSU.

I'm aware the drivers aren't out yet for the 1070. I was planning to just use onboard graphics from the CPU until the drivers are released. I won't have this built until around the beginning of October either way.

I agree the 1000W PSU is overkill, but it was the same price (after rebate) as any equivalent 750W PSU (Gold +, Fully Modular). I'm concerned that 650W will be too little if I want to SLI later on. Do you think it would be enough? Or 750 to be safe? The calculator you linked shows it would be just over 650W with SLI.

Be advised that Nvidia drivers will be required with for using GTX 1070. Nvidia has not release the drivers, yet, and they are not expected to before the Sierra 10.12.0 release which is expected some time around October 01, 2016. So, you'll need a back up plan for graphics.

I don't see any reason to have 1000W PSU. A 650-750 Watt PSU is plenty sufficient for your build. To be sure of your power nees, there are PSU calculators on the 'Net. Newegg also has one at their site.
http://images10.newegg.com/BizIntell/tool/psucalc/index.html

MyHero build (see link in my signature block) is similar to your system, and I'm using a 650 watt PSU.
Stork, is it possible to have a dual booting machine like this one, with the 1070 plugged in, and work with the integrated cpu graphic card on the mac side, and with the 1070 on the windows side?

Excluding the GPU, do the remaining parts appear to be compatible for a Hackintosh build?

Excluding the GPU, do the remaining parts appear to be compatible for a Hackintosh build?
Stork is the guru, but i can say yes... My hackintosh is very similar to this one... Same Corsair Ram on mine, and i have a z170 Maximus VIII Ranger ROG, and a 6600k instead of the 6700k.

Hi guys,

I'm new here but I had the same goal - build a (near) top of the line gaming machine that can also reliably run OSX, as I'd rather have one computer than two running at home (currently a Mac Mini that's not up to the task of gaming really, but on which I reliably edit photos).

@Stork, could you kindly weigh in?

@twaelbroeck, have you ordered your machine yet? Could you share either publicly or privately where you're going to shop from, as I think we're both in the Netherlands?

Many thanks!

@rpopscu I haven't ordered yet (expecting to around the beginning of October) but I'm actually in the US, so I'll be purchasing primarily from Newegg & Amazon.

I've seen many reports of people dual-booting OSX/Win10, while using integrated graphics for OSX and GPU for Win10. It's not necessarily the most elegant solution (requires some plugging/unplugging of cables or other "inconveniences") but it works until the OSX drivers are released.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back