Graphics
Vega64
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi Everyone
So i'm in what i think might be a fairly 'edgy' case.
I'm a content creator, i develop online training courses and use macOS day to day to get this done.
I have a macbook pro.. and a hackintosh (i7 6700k, 32GB ram, NVME 2TB 960 pro etc).
I understand all the risks associated with using a hackintosh... and ive used one for about a year now.

I'm considering building a super high end one ... thinking LOTS of cores.. and more than anything this is what impacts my bottom line - i do a lot of encoding of screencasts to MP4... and i'm recording and outputting my mp4 masters @ 4k, before transcoding them down to 1440, 1080, 720, 480 etc.

I'm trying to find information on the absolutive best hackintosh for this kind of work where CPU, DISK and GPU performance are the primary factors. If money were no object, what would everyone recommend in terms of CPU, MB, etc.

/Adrian

Hi Everyone
So i'm in what i think might be a fairly 'edgy' case.
I'm a content creator, i develop online training courses and use macOS day to day to get this done.
I have a macbook pro.. and a hackintosh (i7 6700k, 32GB ram, NVME 2TB 960 pro etc).
I understand all the risks associated with using a hackintosh... and ive used one for about a year now.

I'm considering building a super high end one ... thinking LOTS of cores.. and more than anything this is what impacts my bottom line - i do a lot of encoding of screencasts to MP4... and I'm recording and outputting my mp4 masters @ 4k, before transcoding them down to 1440, 1080, 720, 480 etc.

I'm trying to find information on the absolute best hackintosh for this kind of work where CPU, DISK and GPU performance are the primary factors. If money were no object, what would everyone recommend in terms of CPU, MB, etc.

/Adrian

The Intel X299 series has just been released with CPUs up to 18 cores. However, there is currently no native support for them as no Macs use them at present. The future iMac Pro and the 2018 Mac Pro may use hardware from this family so it may be possible to build a hackintosh using X299 hardware with native support.

Some folks here have been trying to run MacOS on X299 hardware. Perhaps you should check them first.

I'm trying to find information on the absolutive best hackintosh for this kind of work where CPU, DISK and GPU performance are the primary factors. If money were no object, what would everyone recommend in terms of CPU, MB, etc.

/Adrian

If money were no object the choice is easy, 2018 Mac Pro, maxed out with 32 cores. Dual AMD RX 64 Vega graphics cards and 128 GB of ram, maybe more. Add in a few Samsung NVME drives and all your bottlenecks disappear. You may have to wait till later 2018 for this but it should be worth the wait. If that is priced out of your reach the next best thing may be an 18 core X299 hackintosh. It's possible it will work well with High Sierra but it's still too early to know for sure.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back