Contribute
Register

Hi, I'm a noob with things, some advice would be appreciative!

Status
Not open for further replies.
CPU
i5 4460 @ 3.1Ghz
Graphics
GTX 960 (2GB)
Specs
  • i5 4460
  • GTX 960
Hey, hackintosh lovers! So I recently bought this computer and have been playing around with it for a while. I've decided that I want to do my first hackintosh on this computer, and wanted some advice from anyone who's able to help point me in the right direction.

I actually have reasons to be switching over to OS X:
  • Linux environments are very fragmented, making development harder than it should be. At least things will look more consistent under OS X.
  • I'm learning how to use Photoshop to do some image touchups, and a VM simply isn't an option for me
  • The OS X environment is familiar as I have been using Linux for about 4-5 years.
  • A lot of web developers are using OS X, and I've been trying to break into that field for a while. It helps to be on the same footing.
So asides from all that, I'm just looking to setup a hackintosh. I do not currently have a Mac at my disposal, and I'm willing to go through all the headaches trying to set up a system. I currently have a 32GB USB, which I can hopefully use to my advantage.

Any additional information required?

If you don't have a Mac then you need to get the Snow Leopard DVD from Apple. You also need iBoot Haswell burned to CD to be able to boot from. Use the HD4600 graphics to do the install, not your 960. After you upgrade to 10.6.8 then you can get El Capitan first. You can't get Sierra Initially when you're on Snow Leopard. If you install El Cap first then Sierra is free to download.

If you don't have a Mac then you need to get the Snow Leopard DVD from Apple. You also need iBoot Haswell burned to CD to be able to boot from. Use the HD4600 graphics to do the install, not your 960. After you upgrade to 10.6.8 then you can get El Capitan first. You can't get Sierra Initially when you're on Snow Leopard. If you install El Cap first then Sierra is free to download.
I don't mind where I start off, as long as I'm able to upgrade later :)

Snow Leopard DVD is $20, that's perfect but it's shipping I'm concerned about, I was hoping I could have a hackintosh set up estimately by at least the end of the weekend. I'm guessing this is the simplest way, are there no alternates that involve not spending money preferably?

I don't mind where I start off, as long as I'm able to upgrade later :)

Snow Leopard DVD is $20, that's perfect but it's shipping I'm concerned about, I was hoping I could have a hackintosh set up estimately by at least the end of the weekend. I'm guessing this is the simplest way, are there no alternates that involve not spending money preferably?

Only free way is to use someone else's Mac or CustoMac that is running at least Lion. It can't be a 3,1 or lower Mac Pro though. Those have lost support with Sierra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back