Graphics
HD 4600
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello all, recently my computer's HHD has been making weird noises. I am not all to sure when the problem began, my dad woke me last night when there was an odd grunting, growling, chirping noise being created my my machine. I promptly shut the computer down. This evening I put my ear by the HHD as I was booting it up, sure enough, it was the HHD. Using a stethoscope I more carefully listened to it. The noise through the stethoscope was ear-splitting. Now, the computer is fully off. Do you think I should replace the HHD, or should I not worry about that noise? appleweekly5:beachball:

EDIT
The HHD I am running is the 1tb Segate from the buyer's guide. Just thought I should add that in.

Dr. Weekly,
You're urgently needed in the computer OR. ;)

Seriously, make sure you've backed up that hard drive cause it's giving you
warning signs that it's about to fail at any moment. Buy a new one and
then restore from your backup you've made. Good luck on the operation :thumbup:

Dr. Weekly,
You're urgently needed in the computer OR. ;)

Seriously, make sure you've backed up that hard drive cause it's giving you
warning signs that it's about to fail at any moment. Buy a new one and
then restore from your backup you've made. Good luck on the operation :thumbup:

Now, what to clone it to, the HHD that needs to operated on is "reconditioned" (as stated on label).
I am not sure what to buy. My parents run a WD 1TB Blue drive, is it hackintosh compatible. I don't want another "reconditioned" drive. I am planning to switch to a SSD and HHD combination soon anyway. Dr. Weekly :beachball:

Now, what to clone it to, the HHD that needs to operated on is "reconditioned" (as stated on label).
I am not sure what to buy. My parents run a WD 1TB Blue drive, is it hackintosh compatible. I don't want another "reconditioned" drive. I am planning to switch to a SSD and HHD combination soon anyway. Dr. Weekly :beachball:

Hope that refurb had some kind of warranty on it. If your parents drive has enough room
on it you could make a clone on that drive. You really should have some kind of backup
drive for your own system though. All mechanical drives fail, some much sooner than
others. Backups are essential ! Get a 120 GB SSD and also a WD blue (New) and put the
OS on the SSD, use the WD for storage. May the surgery be a success. :beachball:

Hope that refurb had some kind of warranty on it. If your parents drive has enough room
on it you could make a clone on that drive. You really should have some kind of backup
drive for your own system though. All mechanical drives fail, some much sooner than
others. Backups are essential ! Get a 120 GB SSD and also a WD blue (New) and put the
OS on the SSD, use the WD for storage. May the surgery be a success. :beachball:

How do I make the apps go on the HDD? appleweekly5:beachball:

How do I make the apps go on the HDD? appleweekly5:beachball:

Honestly, I would just backup the documents folder, pictures, music etc. and then do a clean
reinstall of OS X. Then put all that data back after the clean install where you want it. All the
other Apple Apps can just be re-downloaded from the MAS.

Honestly, I would just backup the documents folder, pictures, music etc. and then do a clean
reinstall of OS X. Then put all that data back after the clean install where you want it. All the
other Apple Apps can just be re-downloaded from the MAS.

I have created several Time Machine backups on a external HDD, I will restore the fresh install from them. Or I will use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone my OSX install partition to the the new SSD. I have several options, which is best, I am typing this while waiting for the UniBeast installer to complete, the computer will boot. appleweekly5:beachball:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back