Contribute
Register

Hey, glad to be here! PS I'm screwed. MultiBeast 5.02 on Lion 10.7 is gonna get me fired

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Fast
CPU
Fast
Graphics
Fast
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
First post. Not a pretty one.

Updated some components on my hack that I built a few weeks ago (First one) and wanted to go ahead and try MultiBeast - Mountain Lion 5.0.2. It looked like it would give me support for my GPU and just keep me up-to-date. Well in my excitement I quickly downloaded and installed it not seeing that it was for Mountain Lion 10.8...I was running 10.7

Well, the install looked to execute normally and then an audio driver thing popped up so I went ahead and started to install that before I could even get into the MulitBeast settings. This is when the computer crashed, half way through installing those audio drivers.

Now the computer will not start at all. I have tried Verbose, Stand Alone, Single User..all those. I've been searching the forums since 2am trying to figure this out. It's now 7:05am.

My main problem here is I have insanely important Final Cut Pro files that the client and some coloring guru's are showing up to work on at 1pm. I must get this computer operational before this happens.

I have no other macs ANYWHERE...now I remember why I dont yet I sure as hell could use one right about now to at least hook these drives up like slaves (Does that even work like it does on PC's?)

I just need to get every last byte of this data off and rebuild it all from scratch.

Sorry, just freaking out and know nothing about OSX.

Leave it up to me to do crazy **** the night before the most important day of the edit.

Thanks for any direction

Here are the specs on the computer:

OS: OSX Mountain Lion 10.7 (Was running Chameleon while I tried to install MultiBeast 5.02)
CPU: Intel i7 3770K
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5-TH
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX670

Attached is a picture of what I have been seeing over and over for the last 5 hours...This is the last of at least 30 pages of scrolling.

Thanks again for any help ideas at all.

Sean

Attachments

• NoBueno.JPG
    NoBueno.JPG
    476.7 KB · Views: 214
Hey, glad to be here! PS I'm screwed. MultiBeast 5.02 on ML 10.7 is gonna get me fired

I'm sort of casting about here, but have you tried booting with the -f flag?

Hey, glad to be here! PS I'm screwed. MultiBeast 5.02 on ML 10.7 is gonna get me fired

Do you mean you're running Lion (10.7) or Mountain Lion (10.8). I assume you mean Lion. So, what I'd do is boot from the Lion install usb, but go into utilities when you get to that point in the installation. Start a terminal session and carefully delete the /Extra folder, as well as perhaps disable the AppleHDA.kext by renaming it. Change to your boot volume (cd /Volumes/"Your boot volume"). Then rename it:

sudo cp System/Library/Extentions/AppleHDA.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext.disable

Reboot from rBoot or the installation usb and select your hd (possibly you'll need -x). Once your booted, re-run the appropriate version of MB.

Good luck.

From what I see in the picture, FakeSMC.kext is messed up. Other kexts may be messed up too.

I would boot your installer. Answer the language question. In the next screen, go to the Utilities menu and select Terminal

Code:
Type:  cd "/Volumes/(the name of your Lion partition)/System/Library"   <=== use quotes but not parens
Type:  chown -R root:wheel Extensions
Type:  chmod -R 755 Extensions
Type:  touch Extensions

Quit Terminal and Quit the installer. Boot your computer the way you would normally.

wormyrocks, I thought you HAD IT! It almost went through...then just went blank and started to boot again. No go.

Do you mean you're running Lion (10.7) or Mountain Lion (10.8). I assume you mean Lion. So, what I'd do is boot from the Lion install usb, but go into utilities when you get to that point in the installation. Start a terminal session and carefully delete the /Extra folder, as well as perhaps disable the AppleHDA.kext by renaming it. Change to your boot volume (cd /Volumes/"Your boot volume"). Then rename it:

sudo cp System/Library/Extentions/AppleHDA.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext.disable

Reboot from rBoot or the installation usb and select your hd (possibly you'll need -x). Once your booted, re-run the appropriate version of MB.

Good luck.

Yes, Running Lion.

Ok, so Im in the Terminal via Lion USB....And to reveal my true colors with OSX some more...I have no idea how to delete the /Extra folder or how to even find that. Also, if you could hold my hand through renaming the HDA that would be great too. Same with renaming the boot volume. Normally I would google all this but im kinda freaked out to mess something up even worse.

THanks so much. I hope I can learn a ton from all this and give back to the community a bit. At this point I just want to be able to see these FCP files and get them far far away from this computer and onto a different build.

Thanks

From what I see in the picture, FakeSMC.kext is messed up. Other kexts may be messed up too.

I would boot your installer. Answer the language question. In the next screen, go to the Utilities menu and select Terminal

Code:
Type:  cd "/Volumes/(the name of your Lion partition)/System/Library"   <=== use quotes but not parens
Type:  chown -R root:wheel Extensions
Type:  chmod -R 755 Extensions
Type:  touch Extensions

Quit Terminal and Quit the installer. Boot your computer the way you would normally.

Ok, Just did all this..Restarting now.............

Damn! Nothing....Jumps back to the restart loop. Thought it was going too (Since it didnt freeze on text)

Now that something has changed, try booting with some boot flags:

Code:
-v -x
-v -s    <=== this takes you to a command line that has a prompt of "root:"

Now that something has changed, try booting with some boot flags:

Code:
-v -x
-v -s    <=== this takes you to a command line that has a prompt of "root:"

Yea, nothing here either :( All just self-reboots eventually. Yikes

Please does anyone know if it is possible to reinstall Lion without a UniBeast USB drive. All I have is the Lion Thumb drive from apple. I have no mac to create the UniBeast drive. I just need to figure out a way to rebuild this mac and not loose any data

MultiBeast 5.0 is ONLY for Mountain Lion 10.8.

Yea, and I found that out the real hard way...Had really heavy eyes and just jumped on the update after I got all the new components together at ~2am. Missed the not so fine print. Now I cant find access 30days+ worth of editing that is to be presented at 1pm today. Sucks to be me.. Cant wait to get out of this jam and go full-time Premiere / Win7 again. Dont think im ready to switch to OSX after my whole life of Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back