Contribute
Register

HEVC Hardware Encode/Decode

Status
Not open for further replies.
@oli.mathieu exactly what are the requirements for HEVC encode on a Mac Pro
Davinci Resolve uses it - but I have a 2010 Mac Pro with GTX 1060 6GB
Is there a way to check compatibility before I re-partition, download, install OS, install DVR etc...

That the hidden question !!
High Sierra HEVC capabilities are hardware dependant ...Apple Hardware dependant ... and may be NVidia isn't Apple Hardware anymore ....
Just guessing
It's shame because Pascal-Nvidia have Hardware to do this exact same task ...

@oli.mathieu exactly what are the requirements for HEVC encode on a Mac Pro
Davinci Resolve uses it - but I have a 2010 Mac Pro with GTX 1060 6GB
Is there a way to check compatibility before I re-partition, download, install OS, install DVR etc...

If you want to use hardware HEVC encoding/decoding, forget about nvidia card, the last model that using nvidia graphics was iMac13. At that time, the nvidia graphics card only support H.264. Apple no longer use nivida graphics on their new models.

Which Macs support HEVC?
https://everymac.com/mac-answers/ma...1013-compatible-macs-system-requirements.html

All of these Macs support HEVC, but not all of them support hardware accelerated HEVC.

In fine print, Apple notes that for hardware accelerated HEVC support, only "6th generation" and newer Intel processors are supported. More precisely, that would be this much smaller number of Macs:
Furthermore, only Macs with "Kaby Lake" processors -- released in 2017 -- support hardware accelerated HEVC with 10-bit color:

@itwas
thanks
so you imply for hmackintoshes that, with the correct SMBios and CPU, it works ?
What about the iMac Pro ? Does the AMD radeon does this king of job due to the lack of this kind of hardware in it's CPU ?

@itwas
thanks
so you imply for hmackintoshes that, with the correct SMBios and CPU, it works ?
What about the iMac Pro ? Does the AMD radeon does this king of job due to the lack of this kind of hardware in it's CPU ?

for iMacPro, I think it is easy to guess.
for hardware accelerated HEVC support, it requires hardware support (IGPU or dGPU or IGPU+dGPU) not the CPU
since iMacPro do not have IGPU, the hardware accelerated HEVC support must be relied on dGPU (AMD Radeon Pro Vega graphics processor).

your hardware setup (i9-7900 + nvidia), even do not support hardware accelerated H.264 decoding, not to mention HEVC support.

@itwas
Thanks
That what I thought also. So then, is there a list of AMD GPU other iMac Pro's that support hardware accelerated HEVC ?
In another way : what the cheapest way for me to have hardware accelerated HEVC ?

can you confirm "for hackintoshes that, with the correct SMBios and CPU, it works ?"

@itwas
Thanks
That what I thought also. So then, is there a list of AMD GPU other iMac Pro's that support hardware accelerated HEVC ?
In another way : what the cheapest way for me to have hardware accelerated HEVC ?

can you confirm "for hackintoshes that, with the correct SMBios and CPU, it works ?"

take a look this thread
Radeon RX 4XX/5XX standalone system, AMDRadeonX4250.kext (GVA support H264) does not support HEVC HW
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...support-h264-does-not-support-hevc-hw.240353/

in terms of hardware/software support
Radeon Pro Vega 56 is used in iMac Pro, macOS 10.13.2 already supported iMacPro and HEVC
how to setup a hackintoshe like a real iMac Pro is another story, I don't have the hardware, I cannot confirm it works or not.

correct SMBIOS and CPU =/= it will works out of the box, it is not real mac hardware
for example the OS expected the graphics device name GFX0 is in the system, but you change the device name to say ABC1, do you think it will works like a real mac. macOS is not open source software, I don't know how it works.

for hevc/h264 hw acceleration on x299 iMac Pro smbios i recommend vega graphics (vega 56 is fine)

before i had 580 and there were some glitches, it might get well in the future though or you might be troubleshooting more in the meantime, not many ppl get other graphics with x299

i have i5-4570 and RX580 8gb, and fresh install Mojave.
does it work?

anyone know if it works on GTX 760?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back