Contribute
Register

Help With Sleep "ACPI: sleep states S4 S5" - Surface Pro 4, 10.15.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for looking into that. That thread was actually what gave me the idea to perform those DSDT edits. That's pretty much where I'm at right now...S3 shows up and the system will go to sleep (or at least log that it's going to sleep) but waking it results in it waking to the boot screen.

I'm specifically talking about the part where he says "then delete Method GPRW and Name PRWP.
The next thing would be to change all Methods (_PRW)..." You didn't do that part yet I don't think.

Hmmm...yeah, I did do that part too. Testing between just the first part (forcing S3 to be available) and with both fixes he suggested didn't change any symptoms.

I kept the DSDT modified with the deleted Method GPRW, deleted Name PRWP, and all Method (_PRW)'s changed accordingly though.

Maybe remove the DSDT (let it run unpatched) and create an SSDT along these lines?

Code:
    External (SS3, IntObj)

Scope (_SB)
    {
        Method (_INI, 0, NotSerialized)
        {
            Store (One, SS3)
        }
    }

I'm not 100% on the syntax for the SS3 reference and the external declaration, though.

@kylec, thanks for your continued help.

I just stumbled across this article, and straight from the horse's mouth:
“Surface uses Modern Standby rather than traditional S3 Sleep,” Microsoft explains. “This allows us to manage power consumption right down to the individual hardware components. The net effect is near instant resume times and more efficient power consumption.”

The machine may actually not support S3 at all...hence it not showing up as an ACPI sleep state to begin with. I'm trying to have a go at seeing how the Linux guys are handling it.

As an alternative, I've been trying to force it to hibernate instead of sleep with "hibernatemode 25" but I can't seem to find the right config tweaks / kext combinations to get it to actually hibernate...maybe that might be another lead to follow

Mystery solved!

Although now that you're working on hibernation expect that it will get even more mystical. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back