Graphics
HD 620
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all, I've got my Surface Pro 4 (i5) up and running with 10.15.5 (OC 0.6) and everything works perfectly fine with the exception of sleep.

Invoking sleep via apple menu appears to work fine, i.e. the display turns off, playback pauses on any media, etc. however the machine does not actually go to sleep. "Sleep"/wake works with the lid as well, but in either case the machine doesn't actually go to sleep.

Comparing pmset -g log to my other hackintosh laptop that has sleep/wake working correctly, everything looks good from the point of the display turning off, however at the point where the working laptop prints
Code:
Entering Sleep state
in the log, the SP4...prints nothing. There's nothing in the log until the point a few minutes later when I woke the system to check the logs and see if it actually went to sleep.

EFI folder and pmset log output attached. Hopefully someone smarter than me can help me figure this out. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    15.4 MB · Views: 142
  • sleeplog.txt
    4.9 KB · Views: 54
Poking around a bit more today and I noticed
Code:
ACPI: sleep states S4 S5
in my boot logs...

Cross-referencing my other hackintosh and a genuine MBP and they both list S3, so it's odd that the surface is missing the sleep state.

A good place to start is disabling in BIOS anything that's on the PCI bus that isn't essential. It might help to isolate a device that's causing it. Could be the wifi adapter, a card reader, something like that. Try toggling Wake on LAN and/or Wake on USB also (one is always supposed to be disabled and one can go either way- I forget which is which).

Solid advice, but I'm already configured that way though.

I suspect my issue is with the DSDT as replacing
Code:
If (SS3)
    {
        Name (_S3, Package (0x04)
        {
            0x05,
            Zero,
            Zero,
            Zero
        })
    }
with
Code:
Name (_S3, Package (0x04)
{
    0x05, 
    Zero, 
    Zero, 
    Zero
})

results in the system seeing S3 available to it, and sleep proceeding normally according to the logs, but the system reboots upon wake.

The reboot doesn't seem to be due to a kernel panic however (I've looked into the Catalina audio sleep panic thing, but this is a different issue) as there aren't any panics in the logs and applying the fixes for the audio panic do nothing. It seems like the system simply sleeps correctly, and then cold boots upon wake...

That's a tough one. Have you tried loading the BIOS with UEFITool and extracting the Setup IFR? Those hidden settings always have tons of stuff related to sleep states.

Hey, thanks for the response. I tried but couldn't seem to figure out how to save my current BIOS as an image for UEFITool to read.
Code:
UEFIExtract /O
just gave me an unknown command error.

Can't download a BIOS update file for the Surface Pro 4 because it gets bundled in with Windows Updates since it's Microsoft hardware...any ideas?

I think I've managed to pull the BIOS image from that download...I've opened it in UEFITool and tried but failed to figure out how to extract the Setup IFR. (Sorry, trying to learn as I go with the UEFI disassembly stuff, this is new to me)

Attachments

• SurfaceUEFI.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 56
That's okay. Does anything come up if you do a unicode search for "CFG L"? Normally I just search for that, double click the result, move up one level in the tree and do an export body on that.

Oh, well. I tried it myself, and it seems that this BIOS is not susceptible to these methods.

Here's another thought. You removed the "If (SS3)", but there's another spot where SS3 is referenced, in the GPRW method. A little Googling, and we have PikerA suggesting the following procedure: insanely mac.com /forum/topic/296139-acpi-sleep-states-s4-s5/?do=findComment&comment=2012366

It sounds like it will help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back