i7-7700K
Graphics
RX 580 Nitro
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

I just got my first Hackintosh, since NVMe now is supported I figured I should have a go.

I used this guide : Create a high sierra USB

I'm using an EVO 960, but when starting disk utility the drive isn't detected/shown in the list, so I can't format it.
The drive does show up in the BIOS.

I've copied the following kexts to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other:
AppleIntelE1000e.kext
FakeSMC.kext
NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

Ny pointers if I've missed anything ? BIOS settings etc ?

Cheers,
Niklas

@urakaipa, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard or Make/Model, CPU and Graphics Card.
The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you.

I also tried to move the disk from the x4 .M2 port to the x2 one, but that didn't help.

Any motherboard related kexts needed or something like that to get it to recognise the disk maybe ?

Any pointers are welcome. :)

I'm genuinely confused about nvme support in HS. I hear and read that they're supported natively, but on my system, which has Sierra on an NVME and HS on an SSD, when booted to HS, it doesn't see the NVME unless I follow all of @RehabMan's steps, namely, the nvme aml in ACPI/patched, the HackrNVMEFamily kext in kexts/other, and the DSM and a bit patch required by my particular NVME in config.plist (that's off the top of my head, forgive if I've mistyped or misstated something; point being, 10.12 and 10.13 seem to require all the same patches to see the NVME).

I see @RehabMan's 10.13 notes and tried setting up two clovers, one to boot 10.12 on the NVME, and one to boot HS/10.13 on the ssd, with the nvme-specific changes taken out of the 10.13 clover boot. No luck.

So. Back to your question. Did you put apfs.efi in your clover kexts/other (or wherever you're loading kexts from)? The BIOS should see the NVME if it's installed correctly; clover should see the NVME if you have apfs.efi; but whether macOS (in this case the installer) sees it may require apfs.efi or it may require @RehabMan's patches?? Confused on this point.

edit: I don't know what apfs has to do with this, never mind the apfs.efi stuff. Clover seeing the NVME has nothing to do with apfs.efi unless the drive is formatted apfs.

Last edited:
I'm genuinely confused about nvme support in HS. I hear and read that they're supported natively, but on my system, which has Sierra on an NVME and HS on an SSD, when booted to HS, it doesn't see the NVME unless I follow all of @RehabMan's steps, namely, the nvme aml in ACPI/patched, the HackrNVMEFamily kext in kexts/other, and the DSM and a bit patch required by my particular NVME in config.plist (that's off the top of my head, forgive if I've mistyped or misstated something; point being, 10.12 and 10.13 seem to require all the same patches to see the NVME).

I see @RehabMan's 10.13 notes and tried setting up two clovers, one to boot 10.12 on the NVME, and one to boot HS/10.13 on the ssd, with the nvme-specific changes taken out of the 10.13 clover boot. No luck.

So. Back to your question. Did you put apfs.efi in your clover kexts/other (or wherever you're loading kexts from)? The BIOS should see the NVME if it's installed correctly; clover should see the NVME if you have apfs.efi; but whether macOS (in this case the installer) sees it may require apfs.efi or it may require @RehabMan's patches?? Confused on this point.

edit: I don't know what apfs has to do with this, never mind the apfs.efi stuff. Clover seeing the NVME has nothing to do with apfs.efi unless the drive is formatted apfs.

I basically just copied the config in the guide, added FakeSMC.kext and USBInjectAll.kext to kexts/Other. No apfs.efi.

My only "hope" is that the motherboard being a H270 just won't work OOTB as all successful ones I've seen are using Z270 instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back