Contribute
Register

Help with CustoMac Pro Build for video Editing around $1200

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to build as much of a beast as possible on the pro end for around $1200. $1500 is my hard cap, but want to stay near $1200 if possible.

This will be my new professional work horse So I need advice on what will be the easier side of installation with minimal to no modifications to files / drivers. basically looking for a smooth install with as little trouble shooting as possible as i just dont have the time.

Def want the best CPU possible for a hackintosh build. seems i7 6700k is the way to go?

Will be using adobe creative cloud applications such as premiere pro, after effects, lightroom & photoshop.

Would like to be able to dual boot with windows as I plan on purchasing an HTC Vive Vr with the $ im saving not buying apple.

been years since i used windows / PC but was very proficient in win7 days and earlier. very new to hackintosh. back in the days that i tried it was very elementary.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Also I run my projects externally using Lacie Rugged Thunderbolt 2 Drives. will i still continue to be able to use these with thunderbolt or only with USB 3?

Yes, you'd want an I7-6700K with a Z170 motherboard. Most choose either Gigabyte or Asus due to ease of install and setup. Look as the User/Golden builds and find one with a GTX 970 graphics card or better that is within your budget. Also need a good third party cooling system for the CPU. Intel does not provide one with their Skylake "K" cpu.

is there any major difference between the
GA-Z170X-Designare, GA-Z170X-Ultra & the
GA-Z170X-UD3 ?

Edit: I see the ultra has mini display port, would this work as thunderbolt as well? 2nd edit: also there is a gaming version. its red, is there any difference bios wise and compatibillity?

Last edited:
Also why are the 970 series more expensive than the 1070?? really cant comprehend this..
The 970s are no longer in production. Nvidia wants you to buy the newer version to boost their sales. They've already sold all of their stock of Maxwell GPUs to resellers. You can get used and refurb ones at reasonable prices. Check Newegg and Ebay.

The 970s are no longer in production. Nvidia wants you to buy the newer version to boost their sales. They've already sold all of their stock of Maxwell GPUs to resellers. You can get used and refurb ones at reasonable prices. Check Newegg and Ebay.
See above edit

is there any major difference between the
GA-Z170X-Designare, GA-Z170X-Ultra & the
GA-Z170X-UD3 ?

Edit: I see the ultra has mini display port, would this work as thunderbolt as well? 2nd edit: also there is a gaming version. its red, is there any difference bios wise and compatibillity?
I've never bought a "gaming" version of a GA board. I'd assume the UEFI/BIOS is mostly the same. I believe the Designare is the better choice if you'll ever need working Thunderbolt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back