Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-H170N-Wigi
CPU
Intel Skylake i5 6500
Graphics
None
I recently found myself needing a computer. I am between jobs and had to give the company laptop back. I wanted a Mac and have always had MacBook Pro or Airs. I went to MicroCenter and they had a Mac mini, for what I though was on sale. I already own an nice monitor, a ducky keyboard, and a nice RAT gaming mouse. I thought this would be a good economical investment. Now that it is up and running I realize this thing is pretty slow for a $500 box. In my search to find out why this is so slow, even made calls to tech support, I stumbled upon a Hackintosh build video.

This has me very intrigued. The build seems easy enough. I already downloaded MuliBeast and UniBeast. I made a boot drive with a Sierra download. The parts list below is the from the video below.

Is this a good build list or is it outdated? Would I be better off buying the mid tier Mac mini at the $600 price point from Best Buy?

The original computer was built with the previous generation operating system. Will I have trouble trying to use Sierra?

Parts:
Last question, is this case worth the upgraded price?
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=1W8-00GD-00001

Thank you,
Ryan

I recently found myself needing a computer. I am between jobs and had to give the company laptop back. I wanted a Mac and have always had MacBook Pro or Airs. I went to MicroCenter and they had a Mac mini, for what I though was on sale. I already own an nice monitor, a ducky keyboard, and a nice RAT gaming mouse. I thought this would be a good economical investment. Now that it is up and running I realize this thing is pretty slow for a $500 box. In my search to find out why this is so slow, even made calls to tech support, I stumbled upon a Hackintosh build video.

This has me very intrigued. The build seems easy enough. I already downloaded mulibeast and unibeast. I made a boot drive with a Sierra download. The parts list below is the from the video below.

Is this a good build list or is it outdated? Would I be better off buying the mid tier Mac mini at the $600 price point from Best Buy?

The original computer was built with the previous generation operating system. Will I have trouble trying to use Sierra?

Parts:

• Streacom F1C-WS
  • [URL='http://amazon.com/?tag=tonymacx86com-20[/URL]
Last question, is this case worth the upgraded price?
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=1W8-00GD-00001

That Hackintosh build will run circles around the Mac mini; the only thing you won't have is Thunderbolt.

That appears to be a pretty nice case for the price; without seeing it in person it's difficult to judge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the reply.

The network Bluetooth card seems to be the hardest to source. Is there another option for this build?

Any foreseeable problems running sierra with this build?

Thank you for the reply.

The network Bluetooth card seems to be the hardest to source. Is there another option for this build?

You could always get an older Mini PCIe card and install it on a PCIe adapter board. The BCM94360CD works OOB, but is becoming harder to find and more expensive.

However, here are a few sources for the BCM94352Z (a.k.a. Dell DW1560):

Just tried to call Dell. That part is not in stock. That stinks.

Is there another configuration of parts that would be better than this for the same or just a little more money, that would have easier access to the wifi card?

Also, is there a better power source than the external one? I would like to keep my desk clean
and if I can do internal power it would help.

Just tried to call Dell. That part is not in stock. That stinks.

Is there another configuration of parts that would be better than this for the same or just a little more money, that would have easier access to the wifi card?

There are plenty of them listed on eBay - that may be your only choice to buy a BCM94523Z.

There are several PCIe wifi cards (which will fill your only PCIe slot) available, if you're ok with just using the processor graphics:

Last edited:
Also, is there a better power source than the external one? I would like to keep my desk clean
and if I can do internal power it would help.

If you go with the iMagic Pi case you linked to in your original post, it takes a MicroATX internal power supply.

...I already downloaded MuliBeast and UniBeast. I made a boot drive with a Sierra download. The parts list below is the from the video below...
What is the video? (Link?) From where did you download Sierra?

I think I should have said a video. I don't remember which one.

I downloaded the programs from this sight and the sierra from Apple Store

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back