Contribute
Register

Help with Asus EN GTX 460 TOP 1Gb

Status
Not open for further replies.
My problem was solved:

1) Install Snow Leo RTL
2) Install Combo Update 10.6.8
3) RIGHT AFTER THAT, no REBOOTING, install the latest NVIDIA QUADRO drivers (256.02.25f1v1)
4) Then, run MultiBeast and install all those things like in many tutorials
5) At the end, run Kext Utility
6) Reboot
7) Done! I have all resolutions and hardware acceleration with GTX460

My mistake was, that every time I tried to make it work, after update to 10.6.8 I ran MultiBeast first, but NVIDIA - after.
Thanx to Nige2000!

What did you mean when you said run the KEXT utility? I performed every step you listed except that one (because I didn't know what that was) and I'm still stick at 1024x768 on my EVGA nVidia GeForce GTX 480 card.

Note: I'm pretty much Mac-illiterate, so I apologize in advance.

FFXIhealer said:
What did you mean when you said run the KEXT utility? I performed every step you listed except that one (because I didn't know what that was) and I'm still stick at 1024x768 on my EVGA nVidia GeForce GTX 480 card.

Note: I'm pretty much Mac-illiterate, so I apologize in advance.

kext utilities and repair permissions (in multibeast) acts like a tidy up/insurance after tinkering with kexts

not usually necessary but some guys use it every time just to be sure
I'm usually lucky and don't like to wait so i don't use if unless i have difficulty or the the risk failure going to be too much of a pain in the ass

bugger never answered your question

did u upgrade your graphics card to the 480 or is this a new install
just to figure out what drivers that you may have installed previous

most important in install of fermi cards

install osx
open multibeast
do not choose nvidia drivers do not run
run combo update 10.6.8
run official nvidia drivers (link on download page)
run multibeast

if you have old kexts in there you'll have to delete them

This is a previously existing Windows 7 build for maximum game-playing. But I've had this copy of 10.6 Snow Leopard (+iLife + iWork) for over 6 months since I've been wanting to learn OS X. I have several technical certifications in the IT field as well as a Computer Science degree (I know, doesn't mean $#!+ does it? LOL) but it all revolves around Windows and Microsoft products. So as a result, I know nothing about OS X other than "Ooh, pretty..."

The build:
Antec 1200 Full-tower case
1000 watt KWI power-fault modular
MSI Big Bang Trinergy
Intel Core i7 860 (1156 2.8GHz)
16GB DDR3 1333MHz G.Skill Ripjaws
eVGA nVidia GeForce GTX 480 (PCI-X x16 2.0)
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty (PCI-X x1)
Western Digital 1TB (Windows 7)
Seagate 500GB (Snow Leopard)
Blu-Ray burner (SATA)

So I removed down to only one RAM stick (4GB), changed the BIOS settings. I've left the sound card in as I've proved that it won't crash the system. I just haven't started trying to get it to work yet.

I use iBoot to install Snow Leopard, then from within SL, I use ComboUpdate to bring it up to 10.6.8. Without restarting, I run the NVidia Quatro drivers I've gotten from NVIDIA's website...the same ones being floated around on this forum for this exact purpose. I run that, but still don't restart. I run Multibeast and choose these ONLY:

EasyBeast Install
Customization > Boot Options > PCI Root ID Fix

Then I noticed that a lot of the stuff in Multiboot says you have to install it, but doesn't say how. It says it puts the files in the Extras folder, which I have found. I just don't know what to do with them. At this point, if I reboot, it starts up fine without iBoot, but I still get the same 1024x768 graphics and no NVIDIA card recognized. At this point, I usually screw up the install with MultiBoot and have to reformat and start over.

I'm learning this stuff as I go, so each fix and how I get it working will be written down in a notepad file I have on my netbook (Windows 7, I'm using it now while SL installs yet again in the background) so I'll be able to not mess up. My goal is to see if I can get 100% (or as close to it) functionality on my PC, then install Chameleon so I can dual-boot with it defaulting to Windows 7.

Hey, I'm a gamer. Sue me.

....Oh wait, I still need to answer the question. No, this is a completely new install so there are no old kexts. (I still don't know what a kext IS in the first place!)

viewtopic.php?f=81&t=2067

am i reading u right you don't know how to use multibeast the link above shows a install from start to finish

the multi beast options are different
stick to what you did last time

Nah. What I mean is that once it's running, I attempt to fix something, be it my sound card (which apparently DOES crash OS X during boot when installed), my video card (which never works but at least I can see basic stuff), my Netgear WNA3100 which has no OS X drivers that I am currently aware of (but my ethernet seems to work fine on my motherboard - both ports).

And I've learned that installing ANY of the bootscreens (32-bit or 64-bit) makes the whole installation unusable, as it will crap out during boot even in safe mode. So apparently, I have to get my video card working properly BEFORE I install those. But I can put my 16GB of RAM back in with no problems.

I've been able to install the FakeSMC and FakeSMC Plugins without event, but it still doesn't see the video card.

I found the Kext Utility and I see what he means by it. I did some net-research and found out that it does what the "System Utilities" option in MultiBoot does, AND is included under OSx86 Software to boot, so meh.

And while the Sound Blaster card won't work and will crash the system, my Dynex USB headset DOES work and without drivers, will play OS X's sounds and music through the earpiece. Funny.

I'm wondering if the video card is being blocked, since the MSI Big Bang Trinergy uses an NF200 chip to add extra PCI-Express lanes so the board can do 3-way SLI. Since that runs interferance for the P55 chip, it may be blocking my video card. I'm not sure. Like I said, I know very little about OS X. It's why I'm doing this install. I'm tired of being an "expert" IT guy who knows nothing about Macs. I also installed Ubuntu 11.04 on my 6-year-old Dell laptop, but that worked extremely well and only required a few drivers from me to make the whole laptop 100% functional.

UPDATE: I used Multibeast to re-install JUST the 64-bit GraphicsEnabler=Yes option and restarted. THIS time, instead of crashing, it actually booted in and I now have all graphics resolutions including my 23" monitor's 1920x1080 native resolution with 3D enhancements. WOOT! You guys rock! Thanks a bunch. Now I get to play with sound and network drivers? LOL Just waiting to re-crash my system.

see u got it working

liquidblasted said:
My problem was solved:

1) Install Snow Leo RTL
2) Install Combo Update 10.6.8
3) RIGHT AFTER THAT, no REBOOTING, install the latest NVIDIA QUADRO drivers (256.02.25f1v1)
4) Then, run MultiBeast and install all those things like in many tutorials
5) At the end, run Kext Utility
6) Reboot
7) Done! I have all resolutions and hardware acceleration with GTX460

My mistake was, that every time I tried to make it work, after update to 10.6.8 I ran MultiBeast first, but NVIDIA - after.
Thanx to Nige2000!

Hi guys,

I followed the above steps to the letter on a fresh install of 10.6.3 and I'm still stuck with 1024x768. I've attached my kernel log that shows the card not being detected on startup. Any ideas?

EDIT: Oh, and this is on my PC GA-X58A-UD3R v2.0 FG with GTX 460

Attachments

• Nvidia.rtf
    61.6 KB · Views: 200
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back