Contribute
Register

Help with a budget yet powerful mini CustoMac. Prefer SL...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gordo74 said:
jettrue said:
wfj said:
Which realtek ethernet driver did you use? Might want to try the other before spending money on another adapter.

What kind of keyboard do you have? Wireless?

PS - Great to see you have most things going well!
I used the first one in the "network" list in multi beast. Sorry not at the computer at the moment.

My keyboard is a wired mac keyboard, one of the new flat silver ones. I don't know if that's the issue though... because when I press delete it freezes on the screen I posted above, but when I don't press delete, it boots just fine.. so me pressing is causing something to happen. :)

Yeah.... you used the wrong kext. Using the L2M driver would have boosted your speeds significantly.

Also, for your trackpad, be sure to put it in discovery mode before searching for it in your Bluetooth settings.
I went back and tried every network option in Multi Beast with no improvement.

For discovery mode, you mean pushing the side button? I'll have to try pushing the button first, I've always pushed after opening the PreferencePane. Thanks...

jettrue said:
Gordo74 said:
jettrue said:
I used the first one in the "network" list in multi beast. Sorry not at the computer at the moment.

My keyboard is a wired mac keyboard, one of the new flat silver ones. I don't know if that's the issue though... because when I press delete it freezes on the screen I posted above, but when I don't press delete, it boots just fine.. so me pressing is causing something to happen. :)

Yeah.... you used the wrong kext. Using the L2M driver would have boosted your speeds significantly.

Also, for your trackpad, be sure to put it in discovery mode before searching for it in your Bluetooth settings.
I went back and tried every network option in Multi Beast with no improvement.

For discovery mode, you mean pushing the side button? I'll have to try pushing the button first, I've always pushed after opening the PreferencePane. Thanks...

I believe you have to hold it down for x number of seconds. Google it.

And of course it didn't improve it. Once you install the "official" drivers, OSX defaults to that. In order to get OSX to use the L2M driver, you would have to remove the ethernet interface and reinstall it via the preference pane after you remove the edit to the kext that the "official" driver did. It is easier just to pull the default kext from OSX and reload it rather than go through all of that.

Gordo74 said:

And of course it didn't improve it. Once you install the "official" drivers, OSX defaults to that. In order to get OSX to use the L2M driver, you would have to remove the ethernet interface and reinstall it via the preference pane after you remove the edit to the kext that the "official" driver did. It is easier just to pull the default kext from OSX and reload it rather than go through all of that.

I was pretty methodical when trying the other ethernet options. I would delete the previous one I was using, empty the trash, run Kext Wizard, add new one, remove ethernet, and reboot each time. Unless I am misunderstanding what you mean.

jettrue said:
Gordo74 said:

I was pretty methodical when trying the other ethernet options. I would delete the previous one I was using, empty the trash, run Kext Wizard, add new one, remove ethernet, and reboot each time. Unless I am misunderstanding what you mean.

If you get tired of dealing with the ethernet issue, check out this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833166015

Natively supported and inexpensive.

wfj said:
jettrue said:
Gordo74 said:

If you get tired of dealing with the ethernet issue, check out this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833166015

Natively supported and inexpensive.
Thanks, I actually ended up installing the sonnet one. But I also have a lot of variables going on with my network. I kind of have a weird setup where I had to use ethernet powerline adapter, and I'm realizing that it's not a gigabit one. So I ordered a really long cord and I'm going to ghetto it across the room instead of using those. ;)

Well if the sonnet behaves in a similar manner you know it has nothing to do with the new computer. Keep that receipt for the sonnet handy:) If you want a wireless usb option, the Asus USB-N13 is a good.

wfj said:
Well if the sonnet behaves in a similar manner you know it has nothing to do with the new computer. Keep that receipt for the sonnet handy:) If you want a wireless usb option, the Asus USB-N13 is a good.

I would go with building your own airport card first:

http://x86wifi.blogspot.com/2010/04/how ... -card.html

Much more natively supported. I wonder, wfj, why you would recommend a native ethernet card and then recommend a third party utility for wireless?

I'd put money on it being your powerline adapter. I've NEVER been able to get good speeds from them. Ever.

Gordo74 said:
wfj said:

I would go with building your own airport card first:

http://x86wifi.blogspot.com/2010/04/how ... -card.html

Much more natively supported. I wonder, wfj, why you would recommend a native ethernet card and then recommend a third party utility for wireless?

I'd put money on it being your powerline adapter. I've NEVER been able to get good speeds from them. Ever.

Just an option to go wireless if the powerline adapter is the issue and she doesn't want cords stretching across the floor. Something wrong with that?

Gordo74 said:

I had pretty darn good speeds with the same powerline in my previous home, but I think it can have a lot to do with how your house is wired. Apparently it's not happy in this apartment.

SHAZAM! 25ft. cable + Sonnet card = 15 times faster internet. I'll test in a bit to see how the internal ethernet connection does, but for right now I'm just going to bask in the glory.

And Gordo, thanks for the tip to hold down the button on the trackpad. I thought it just touching it making the green light come on was discoverable, but I was WRONG. :)

The only issue is the lack of full gesture support. From reading on here it looks like it's tough to do...

jettrue said:
Gordo74 said:
SHAZAM! 25ft. cable + Sonnet card = 15 times faster internet. I'll test in a bit to see how the internal ethernet connection does, but for right now I'm just going to bask in the glory.

And Gordo, thanks for the tip to hold down the button on the trackpad. I thought it just touching it making the green light come on was discoverable, but I was WRONG. :)

The only issue is the lack of full gesture support. From reading on here it looks like it's tough to do...

Excellent. Integrated ethernet will probably work fine now too...You can gesture to a trackpad? Hah, might have to get one:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back