Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS Z97M-PLUS
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
GeForce GTX 970
Hi!

So I'm giving up on trying to fix this by myself, hopefully someone will be able to help me.
I have the following hackintosh:
Yosemite 10.10.5
ASUS Z97M-PLUS
i7-4790K
One 27'' monitor over HDMI (supports 1440p)
One 24'' monitor over DVI

Everything works, except I can't get 1440p resolution for the 27'' monitor. I've tried various stuff in Clover config, but nothing has enabled me to use 2560x1440 on my primary monitor.

I've even tried SwitchResX - it has option for 2560x1440, but it's some kind of scaled resolution - everything looks too blurry.

Any ideas how to proceed, what could be the issue or if it's even possible under OSX?

P.S. 2560x1440 over HDMI works fine on Windows 10.

I also had this issue and bought a motherboard with just HDMI (Intel HD 4600) assuming El Capitain would drive my 1440P display fine. As far as I know, Mavericks and above started treating HDMI as a 1080P TV output (probably so Apple could sell more Thunderbolt devices). I Poked around the internet/TonyMac forums and couldn't really find a fix to trick the OS into spitting out a regular RGB signal. I ended up buying a cheap used $80-ish EVGA GTX750 1GB (using nvidia web drivers) and hooked up my monitor via it's DisplayPort and was able to get 2560x1440. As far as I know, you have to use a pre Mavericks operating system in order to use HDMI at over 1080P resolutions. Otherwise dual-link DVI or DisplayPort/miniDP are your friends.

I also had this issue and bought a motherboard with just HDMI (Intel HD 4600) assuming El Capitain would drive my 1440P display fine. As far as I know, Mavericks and above started treating HDMI as a 1080P TV output (probably so Apple could sell more Thunderbolt devices). I Poked around the internet/TonyMac forums and couldn't really find a fix to trick the OS into spitting out a regular RGB signal. I ended up buying a cheap used $80-ish EVGA GTX750 1GB (using nvidia web drivers) and hooked up my monitor via it's DisplayPort and was able to get 2560x1440. As far as I know, you have to use a pre Mavericks operating system in order to use HDMI at over 1080P resolutions. Otherwise dual-link DVI or DisplayPort/miniDP are your friends.

AH, unfortunate news, but at least I know where I'm standing. I've found old ATI GPU that has dual link DVI and that's working fine for now.

Thanks, I didn't know about that. Worked for 2560x1440, but didn't for 4K/30Hz for some reason.

Unless your motherboard has an HDMI 2.0 port then you won't get anything higher than 30Hz for 4K. Displaying 4K @ 60Hz requires HDMI 2.0 or DisplayPort 1.2.

Unless your motherboard has an HDMI 2.0 port then you won't get anything higher than 30Hz for 4K. Displaying 4K @ 60Hz requires HDMI 2.0 or DisplayPort 1.2.

Yeah, I know that. But 4K @ 30Hz also didn't work (works fine in windows). It isn't that important to me, just something I tried.

Hello :)

Is this still the recommended solution to get 2560x1440 over HDMI or DP in Sierra using HD4600 or is there a new solution to this problem?
I finally made the jump to a 4K (actually, UHD 3840x) display and sought to get it working at higher resolutions on my 1060. I knew of the pixel clock patch, but eventually decided to install lilu.kext + CoreDisplayFixup.kext. That, plus a resolution utility (you can option click the Scaled radio button under Display System Preferences -> Display tab for a few more resolutions but I think you need a utility to expose all of them) allowed me to set the resolution the way I wanted.

Note that my system no longer wakes from system sleep well now. The UHD monitor just doesn't come back up properly, and unplugging it doesn't help. But that's a different issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back