Contribute
Register

Help - Ventura Freezing at Login

Thank you, @CaseySJ I will let you know what I find out!

[EDIT: Yes, I have "Revision ID: 0x0002." I will check out the posts you provided, and remove the e1000=0 boot arg altogether.
@taconugget very recently performed this surgery successfully. It may be a good idea to read a series of posts starting here:

@taconugget very recently performed this surgery successfully. It may be a good idea to read a series of posts starting here:
Ok, thanks... one more question, and then I'll start reading... my driver is:com.apple.driver.AppleIntelI210Ethernet, whereas yours is apple.com.DriverKit-AppleEthernetE1000 would that make any difference?

Ok, thanks... one more question, and then I'll start reading... my driver is:com.apple.driver.AppleIntelI210Ethernet, whereas yours is apple.com.DriverKit-AppleEthernetE1000 would that make any difference?
AppleIntelI210Ethernet does not exist in Ventura. Instead, it's been reworked using the new DriverKit model so we should expect to see com.apple.DriverKit-...

The side ports are HS10/SS10 and HS09/SS09. I set the HS's to 2, and the SS's to 3.
The above statement is not correct.

All 4 x Ports from the USB3 header HS09/SS09 & HS10/SS10 should be set as USB3 (3).

Same goes for any other USB3 port providing a HSxx & SSxx port, both sides of the physical USB3 port should be set the same, i.e. as USB3.

The virtual port on a USB3 or Type-C physical port should never be set as USB2 (2), it should always match the physical aspect of the port.

So, I'm on OC 0.8.5. I updated my Lilu, Whatevergreen, Apple ALC, and VirtualSMC kexts to the latest. I updated from 12.6 to 12.6.1, and all was well, then I plunged into the update for Ventura. Everything appeared to be going fine. On the third or fourth reboot, however, the progress bar stalled. I waited a half hour to see if it would budge... but no luck. It had just stopped. So, I restarted and got to the Ventura login page and the first thing I noticed was that my bluetooth trackpad and keyboard wouldn't work, so I plugged up a mouse and keyboard, and it froze. Restarted again with the keyboard and mouse plugged in, got as far as entering my password, and then it froze again.

Rebooted into my backup drive, which is running 12.3, to post this message. EFI attached, serial redacted. Can anyone help?
Hi, I see you use AirportItlwm 2.1.0. That will cause a freeze. Try the 2.2.0 posted here on this site. It works -better- but not perfect. Also disable screensaver, it seems to cause a freeze too. I updated both a Nuc8 and a HP laptop EB830, both had these problems. What I mean with works -better- is that on the laptop it's good but on the Nuc8 it seems to cause a freeze after some time. If turned off no freezes at all.

Hi, I see you use AirportItlwm 2.1.0. That will cause a freeze. Try the 2.2.0 posted here on this site. It works -better- but not perfect. Also disable screensaver, it seems to cause a freeze too. I updated both a Nuc8 and a HP laptop EB830, both had these problems. What I mean with works -better- is that on the laptop it's good but on the Nuc8 it seems to cause a freeze after some time. If turned off no freezes at all.
The above statement is not correct.

All 4 x Ports from the USB3 header HS09/SS09 & HS10/SS10 should be set as USB3 (3).

Same goes for any other USB3 port providing a HSxx & SSxx port, both sides of the physical USB3 port should be set the same, i.e. as USB3.

The virtual port on a USB3 or Type-C physical port should never be set as USB2 (2), it should always match the physical aspect of the port.
Thanks, guys. @Edhawk... I really misunderstood that. I thought the HS's all had to be set to 2. Well, since I wrote everything down, I can fix that easily. And, thanks, @danilovitch. I will download the one from here.

So, over the weekend, I realized I had made a mistake by jumping in so quickly on such a major new version. Just got excited... which, at 56 years old... I shouldn't, LOL. I wiped my main drive, did a clean install of 12.6.1, and restored from backup just to get back to normal. Since I was booting from my backup drive, I wasn't backing up properly. I'm installing Ventura on a spare SSD, and I'll fiddle with it as I can using the advice from this thread until it's booting properly. I keep my data on a separate drive from macOS, anyway, so I've got lots of wiggle room.

Thanks again for all the guidance sent me way in this thread... you guys are truly the absolute best!!!

@Edhawk One last thing for now:

Edhawk said:
You are using Generic SSDT's, which not a KP issue could slow down your system when booting. Generating custom SSDT's for your system with your System DSDT.aml and Corpnewt's SSDTTime python script would be a better way to set the EC-USBX and PLUG (CPU PM) options for your system.

I have been enduring painfully long boot up times, so... I found the guide for this and will follow this, as well. Thank you!

Thank you, @CaseySJ I will let you know what I find out!

[EDIT: Yes, I have "Revision ID: 0x0002." I will check out the posts you provided, and remove the e1000=0 boot arg altogether.

i225v is causing the freezing. I also have RevisionID 2. I solved the issue as follows.

Enable AppleVTD.

0. BIOS/UEFI -> enable VT-d
1. config.plist -> Kernel -> Quirks -> change DisableIoMapper to False (After this, reboot the system)
2. config.plist -> NVRAM -> Add -> boot-args -> delete e1000=0 (if exists)
3. config.plist -> ACPI -> Add -> add "SSDT-DMAR.aml" (specific only to your motherboard. You have to make it)
4. config.plist -> ACPI -> Delete -> add "DMAR" (universal. Search google) section.

(How to make the SSDT-DMAR.aml? Search google. Run MaciASL app, Files/New from ACPI/DMAR. Save it to SSDT-DMAR.aml. Open the file again with MaciASL app, delete "Reserved Memory Region" rows, save it to SSDT-DMAR.aml. Copy it to EFI/OC/ACPI.)

Other

1. config.plist -> DeviceProperties -> delete PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1C,0x*)/... (containing "F215000" or "F315000")
2. EFI/OC/Kexts -> delete Monterey driver for i225V (you don't need it)

If the above still doesn't work, boot with Windows 10/11, download the lan card driver from the gigabyte website (there will be 2.1.1.14 version), install it. Then, go back to macOS, test it.

i225v is causing the freezing. I also have RevisionID 2. I solved the issue as follows.

Enable AppleVTD.

0. BIOS/UEFI -> enable VT-d
1. config.plist -> Kernel -> Quirks -> change DisableIoMapper to False (After this, reboot the system)
2. config.plist -> NVRAM -> Add -> boot-args -> delete e1000=0 (if exists)
3. config.plist -> ACPI -> Add -> add "SSDT-DMAR.aml" (specific only to your motherboard. You have to make it)
4. config.plist -> ACPI -> Delete -> add "DMAR" (universal. Search google) section.

(How to make the SSDT-DMAR.aml? Search google. Run MaciASL app, Files/New from ACPI/DMAR. Save it to SSDT-DMAR.aml. Open the file again with MaciASL app, delete "Reserved Memory Region" rows, save it to SSDT-DMAR.aml. Copy it to EFI/OC/ACPI.)

Other

1. config.plist -> DeviceProperties -> delete PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1C,0x*)/... (containing "F215000" or "F315000")

If the above still doesn't work, boot with Windows 10/11, download the lan card driver from the gigabyte website (there will be 2.1.1.14 version), install it. Then, go back to macOS, test it.
@medianjoe THANK YOU!!!!!

@medianjoe That would be IntelMausi.kext?

medianjoe said:
delete "Reserved Memory Region" rows

Just confirming the highlighted rows below are the ones I would delete, correct?

Screen Shot 2022-11-01 at 11.27.35 AM.png

When I delete those rows and try to save I get the spinning beach ball of death. :(

Last edited:
Back