Contribute
Register

Help Upgrading Old (Sandy Bridge) Machine from 10.10, NEW GFX Card for 4K?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4-B3
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
RX 560
I'm starting to move towards updating OSX on my older (only) machine from Yosemite. I think I can update to Sierra, not sure beyond that. I'm also looking to upgrade my monitor (and therefore my graphics card) to 4K.

I don't need high performance for gaming, but I do 3d graphics and rendering, and power 2 monitors.
I'm hoping some folks here could point me in the right direction for some fully compatible graphics cards that would be good to look into. My current card has been a bit of a pain to get working with each update of OSX. I'm looking for either a) something old/cheap that I can get used that happens to work for 4K or b) something better that I could use in a future hack build too.

Thanks

I'm starting to move towards updating OSX on my older (only) machine from Yosemite. I think I can update to Sierra, not sure beyond that. I'm also looking to upgrade my monitor (and therefore my graphics card) to 4K.

I don't need high performance for gaming, but I do 3d graphics and rendering, and power 2 monitors.
I'm hoping some folks here could point me in the right direction for some fully compatible graphics cards that would be good to look into. My current card has been a bit of a pain to get working with each update of OSX. I'm looking for either a) something old/cheap that I can get used that happens to work for 4K or b) something better that I could use in a future hack build too.

Thanks

The AMD RX 560 / 570 / 580 or Vega cards are now natively supported in MacOS High Sierra, and also works with Sierra with the Lilu / WhateverGreen kexts. The RX 560 is the cheapest, while the RX 570 / 580 and Vega will be quite a bit more expensive.

With any of these cards your Sandy Bridge system will be able to run Sierra / High Sierra and probably also the next version MacOS Mojave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back