Graphics
XFX HD5770
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
So I"ve decided to switch from the 450 to the 5770. The 450 is fully functional, but the daily lockups and/or kp are getting a little insane :banghead: . Will there be anything that I'll need to add/remove to make the 5770 work, or am I looking at doing a full restore? Thanks for your time.

It should be as easy as changing the boot loader in multibeast, providing you are on 10.6.5. Grab a copy of the ATI boot CD before you start though.

clarkkent08 said:
So I"ve decided to switch from the 450 to the 5770. The 450 is fully functional, but the daily lockups and/or kp are getting a little insane :banghead: . Will there be anything that I'll need to add/remove to make the 5770 work, or am I looking at doing a full restore? Thanks for your time.

Delete any Nvidia kexts you may have installed (nvenabler or whatever?), and then install the ATI Experimental bootloader and one of the Apple Boot Screen boot options from Multibeast.

If I am doing this and I have previously installed the TonyMacx86 Nvidia graphics update would I need to uninstall this or just simply change the bootloader to the ATi one in Multibeast as I am not using nvenabler.kext

I appreciate the info I'll give it a shot and see how it goes.

So how was your luck trying to swap them? I'm doing the exact same thing with the exact same cards, so I want to make sure it'll work. If not I'll keep the 450 despite it's random lockups.

I can now say that I've got a 5770 fully working after the 450. I downloaded the latest iBoot, and burned it to a cd. Took out the 450 and replaced it with the 5770. Booted from the iBoot disc. Once it booted into OSX, I ran MultiBeast with the following options in the pic (System Utilities, Chameleon2.0 RC5 - ATI Experimental, 64-bit Apple Boot Screen). Everything seems to be working perfectly. Really happy with no freeze ups or kernel panics.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-01-01 at 3.17.23 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-01-01 at 3.17.23 PM.png
    125.2 KB · Views: 220
Following your post I also swapped the 450 with the HD 5770. This thing is beautiful, I haven't gotten any lockups or KP's so far, but then again it's only been on for about 2 hours. Assuming it stays that way then I can declare this build a rock solid one! :thumbup:

KushKrime said:
Following your post I also swapped the 450 with the HD 5770. This thing is beautiful, I haven't gotten any lockups or KP's so far, but then again it's only been on for about 2 hours. Assuming it stays that way then I can declare this build a rock solid one! :thumbup:

Great to hear, welcome to the 5770 club guys. ;)

Yea it's been working great for me for the past couple of days.
I know I set it up to run in 64 bit mode, but does anyone know if there is a way to check that it's actually running in 64 bit? System profiler, etc.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back