Radeon HD 6870
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello all,
I've just installed a Crucial M4 128 SSD. I don't think my read speed is what it should be. Using AJA my scores are

Write: 182.4
Read: 338.0

I've updated the drive with the latest firmware 000f and have installed/enabled Trim Enabler.
I have a Gigabyte GA-z68X-UD3H-B3 motherboard and the SATA cable is plugged into GSATA3_5/6 (SATA 6Gb/s Connector, Controlled by Marvell 88SE9172 Chip) top of page 27 of the motherboard manual.

Would appreciate any help, while I continue to search the forums (here and Crucial's) as well as Google.

Re: HELP Slow Read speed on Crucial M4 (SOLVED)

Well, all I can say I follow the Gigabyte Manual the first time. On page 27 of my manual I plugged into 5/6 SATA 6Gb/s Controlled by Marvell chip set. Being logical, I thought that would be the correct place since these drives use a Marvell controller. After I upgraded the Firmware and boy that was a pain in the ass. I had to change the setting for from ACHI back to IDE because the firmware utility couldn't find the SSD drive, I finally googled it and that's what they said to try. Once the firmware was updated, I had to go back an change it back. Still didn't improve my reads or writes. I booted into the BIOS again, hoping I could find a setting, I've missed. I didn't miss anything but I found a BIG problem, The connecters 5/6 were showing up as IDE Channels. I swear in the book it says 5/6 are SATA 6GB. Anyway, I powered it down, had to take out my graphics card and hard drive to get to the connectors on the boards. Plugged them into SATA 0/1 and it worked. Write 202.1 Read 439.8. Hope this helps someone in the future.

magnumjoe said:
Hello all,
I've just installed a Crucial M4 128 SSD. ...
I've updated the drive with the latest firmware 000f

I've also ordered a Crucial M4 SSD, but the 512GB version, as it has come down in
price from €500 to €350. Just for fun I've browsed the crucial forum for
the M4 on Macs, and found the following:

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/Firmware-000F/td-p/93626

From the forum comments, it does not look good. The latest firmware 000F seems to
be really bad when running OS X. Looks like a workaround is just to revert to
firmware 0309. Have not tested this because I will install OS X on my Crucial M4 in
a couple of days.

Andrej

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back