Z77-UD5H
CPU
i7 3770K
Graphics
R9 280X / RX 590
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi Guys,

I built my machine, followed the Unibeast installation instructions and everything was working fine. Mountain Lion seemed to recognise almost everything straight out of the door! I didn't have any audio drivers installed so I went to Multibeast and installed what I think turned out to be all the audio drivers...

Anyway, I put the machine to sleep, but then could not wake it up using keyboard or mouse.

I had to shutdown using power button. Since then, after hitting F12, I am getting the message 'Reboot and select proper boot device' whenever I try and boot up the machine. I can't even select the USB drive that I created with the Unibeast installation. I have to completely re-do the whole thing from scratch.

AHCI seems to already be enabled (I found this out using F1 to access the basic BIOS)

I don't have any other drives attached only a Samsung 830 256GB SSD SATA III

Also, my 3D BIOS is scrambled. I've tried on both video cards (Intel HD4000 and GTX 670)

My motherboard is Gigabyte Z77-UD5H.

I have attached pictures...

Thanks in advance,

Attachments

• 20121107_215306.jpg
    20121107_215306.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 679
  • 20121107_215340.jpg
    20121107_215340.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 400
Is this likely to be a bad BIOS? How can I find this out?

Is there a way to rectify this without sending the board back?

Also, off the top of my head, since I borrowed the RAM from work until mine turns up... it is only displaying 1333 when it should be 1600mHz RAM.

Hi Guys,

I built my machine, followed the Unibeast installation instructions and everything was working fine. Mountain Lion seemed to recognise almost everything straight out of the door! I didn't have any audio drivers installed so I went to Multibeast and installed what I think turned out to be all the audio drivers...

Anyway, I put the machine to sleep, but then could not wake it up using keyboard or mouse.

I had to shutdown using power button. Since then, after hitting F12, I am getting the message 'Reboot and select proper boot device' whenever I try and boot up the machine. I can't even select the USB drive that I created with the Unibeast installation. I have to completely re-do the whole thing from scratch.

AHCI seems to already be enabled (I found this out using F1 to access the basic BIOS)

I don't have any other drives attached only a Samsung 830 256GB SSD SATA III

Also, my 3D BIOS is scrambled. I've tried on both video cards (Intel HD4000 and GTX 670)

My motherboard is Gigabyte Z77-UD5H.

I have attached pictures...

Thanks in advance,

I've had this happen many times on my Z68. It seems that whenever the 'normal' boot cycle is interrupted, the timing setting go to default and you get a warning on screen. In this case -for me- it sufficed booting up again, going into the BIOS, resetting the memory timings to XMP Profile 1, saving and rebooting.
It is however quite possible that if you have been experimenting with other timings or multipliers, these are also reset to default.

The problem disappeared with my board since I converted to UEFI.

I've had this happen many times on my Z68. It seems that whenever the 'normal' boot cycle is interrupted, the timing setting go to default and you get a warning on screen. In this case -for me- it sufficed booting up again, going into the BIOS, resetting the memory timings to XMP Profile 1, saving and rebooting.It is however quite possible that if you have been experimenting with other timings or multipliers, these are also reset to default.The problem disappeared with my board since I converted to UEFI.

Hi Peter and thanks for your input. I'll try this, only I can't seem to use my bios as the thing is scrambled (see pics). Any further idea? This was scrambled before Mountain Lion install...

Is this likely to be a bad BIOS? How can I find this out?

Is there a way to rectify this without sending the board back?
Unplug the computer. Go to the motherboard and find the battery and remove it. Wait 5 minutes. Reinstall the battery. Plug in the computer. Boot.

Unplug the computer. Go to the motherboard and find the battery and remove it. Wait 5 minutes. Reinstall the battery. Plug in the computer. Boot.

Great! Thank you. I'll try this as soon as I can tonight.

Have you seen this before? Or are you suggesting it may be a fix?

Thanks again.

I haven't seen the scrambled BIOS before. But it suggests something is corrupt with your BIOS. Removing the battery resets the BIOS to its factory defaults and hopefully clears the scrambling.

I've tried taking the battery out for more than 5 minutes, and I've reset the CMOS via the motherboard, but to no avail.

I'm currently reinstalling Montain Lion and using the settings from NoFilmSchool for MultiBeast.

I'm very concerned that my motherboard is bad...

I'm totally new to PC, having only owned Mac computers for the last 10 years.

:(

Again, I would suspect the BIOS/motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back