Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
Intel Core i5-9600K
Graphics
XFX RX480 8GB
[SOLVED] No USB keyboard in BIOS or Bootloader

Hey guys, so I spent all weekend building my new hackintosh and as a expected, I had a few hitches here and there, but I got it all sorted out. Everything was pretty stable and I had planned on continuing to work on it, but when I came home from work, I had a brand new problem.

The computer was off all day and when I turned it on, the keyboard wouldn't respond to select the OS in the boot loader. It isn't set to automatically boot into the OS. So, as I've had to do a few times, I figured I'd just boot into the BIOS and reset the settings and load the profile I saved that was working for me. No dice. The keyboard wouldn't even boot into the BIOS when I held the delete key. So I pushed the reset BIOS button on the motherboard and it got me to the BIOS. The mouse works fine, so I was able to reload the profile, but the keyboard still wouldn't work, even in the BIOS. I did some research and I saw someone fixed a similar issue by turning off legacy USB support. Still nothing.

I am 100% baffled as to what the hell is going on. This morning, it was working working perfectly and then when I came back, nothing. Can someone please help me???

Here's my setup:
Software - Chimera V4, Unibeast 7.0, Multibeast 5.0, Mavericks 10.9.5
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5-TH
CPU - Core i7-4790K 4.0Ghz

GPU - 2 x MSI AMD 7970s
RAM - 16gb (2x8gb) Ballistix Sport Kit
Drives -
Toshiba 512gb SSD and a 128gb OCZ Vertex 3 for backups as I'm building
Power Supply - EVGA Super Nova 750 B2
Keyboard - Apple aluminum

Keyboard Display - Seiki 39" 4k TV

This usually indicates a bluetooth keyboard that has come unpaired. What keyboard do you have?

It's been an Apple USB keyboard the whole time. I do have a Bluetooth dongle that's been plugged in for a Magic Mouse, but I've been using a wired USB mouse. I unplugged the dongle while I was trying to troubleshoot the issue. It didn't change anything.

You've tried changing the port the keyboard is plugged into? What key do you press on an apple keyboard to get into the bios? I'm curious as I am about to get a corded version of the Apple keyboard.

You've tried changing the port the keyboard is plugged into? What key do you press on an apple keyboard to get into the bios? I'm curious as I am about to get a corded version of the Apple keyboard.

Yes. Tried 3 or 4 different ports. It's the delete key for the BIOS.

Yes. Tried 3 or 4 different ports. It's the delete key for the BIOS.
Puzzling how a wired keyboard would suddenly stop working like that. Maybe just for fun unplug all your other usb devices.

Just chiming in to say I've been having this exact same problem. Like yours, my bootloader isn't automatic, so I choose the OS I want to load when I start the computer up. Both my keyboard and mouse are wired. I have a Sidewinder X4 keyboard, the type that lights up. Sometimes, and it's completely random, the keyboard simply doesn't work in the bootloader (doesn't respond, doesn't even light up, like it's receiving no power). In the past, I had to switch to a different USB port after getting to the bootloader screen, and it would work ... until the next random time it stopped working in the bootloader, and I had to switch it back, or to another USB port. Recently, it seems like it's getting worse, as NO USB ports are working in the bootloader (the optical mouse light isn't coming on anymore ... like it's receiving no power). My solution at the moment is to power the computer down and switch the surge protector off and back on. Then, ta-dah, everything's working again.

Hopefully that at least helps you get things working in the meantime, but yeah, it's super annoying having to do all this just to get the keyboard to work.

You know that was one thing that I wasn't sure if I had tried. Gave it a go, but no change.

BUT GOOD NEWS! I realized that I hadn't tried messing with the RAM, so I removed the stick that was in the second slot and it immediately worked when I rebooted. I didn't have time to test it further and put the stick back in, but
I’m wondering if it’s just a weird glitch / fluke, or a bad stick of ram

UPDATE!!!

Got home from work today and the issue has returned. Tried everything over again, including messing around with the RAM, but no luck. I'm considering updating the BIOS to the beta. That's the only newer version available to me and I've see that other people have had success with this board and that beta build.

Thoughts, anyone?

bump

Hey, guys!

I figured I'd go ahead and post on here what happened with this. That way, if someone comes across the same issue, there will be something on the forums to search for. Just to recap, here: It had been two full days with absolutely no keyboard function. So, as was suggested to me, I tried every single USB port with the keyboard, tried a different keyboard, reset BIOS, switched to the secondary BIOS, toggled legacy USB support and a few other things I can't remember. I was getting really upset. I almost called Gigabyte tech support. That was definitely my next step.

But as I continued searching the internet, someone stated on a PC forum that some motherboards sort of treat a certain USB port as the "primary" port for USB, before an OS is loaded. Now, I don't really know how true that is, but it did make me think of one last thing I hadn't tried. Up until that point, I didn't have the front mounted USB port bracket connected to the board. I figured, what the hell? Technically, it's two ports that I hadn't tried at all. As soon as I plugged the bracket it, plugged the keyboard to the bracket, and turned on the compy, it worked!

Now, I know I've said it was fixed before. Therefore, I was only cautiously optimistic. Actually, now that I think about it, I don't think I was optimistic at all, considering I thought it was fixed twice now. But it's been almost a whole week without any sign of the issue. I've been running the OS X side without a hitch and after a **** storm, (which is another story, for another day) I successfully installed Windows 7. It's been great!

So thanks, guys for your suggestions and comments. You guys are amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back