Contribute
Register

help! new system not starting - psu too weak?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GAZ77-DS3H, 32GB Corsair, 256 SSD
CPU
i3770k
Graphics
Club3D Geforce 560ti 2gb
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
so i got this system:

gigabyte ds3h
corsair rams
club3d 560ti 2gb
samsung 830 256gb ssd
arctic cooler freezer 13

just set it up, but it's not starting (no picture). is it possible, that this comes from my old psu (bequiet estraight power 5-500w, 4 years old)? cp/gpu/system fans are spinning.
even if i unplug the ssd and remove the gpu (and use internal graphics instead), there's no picture. also, sometimes, the fans just spin for a short time and then the system powers down.

should i just get a new psu or is there anything else i could try to rule out a faulty mainboard/cpu?

Here To Help said:
You should be ok. :thumbup:

with what? a new psu?
have you got any not too noisy&expensive suggestions? (wattage, brand?)
thanks

eilfurz said:
so i got this system:

gigabyte ds3h
corsair rams
club3d 560ti 2gb
samsung 830 256gb ssd
arctic cooler freezer 13

just set it up, but it's not starting (no picture). is it possible, that this comes from my old psu (bequiet estraight power 5-500w, 4 years old)? cp/gpu/system fans are spinning.
even if i unplug the ssd and remove the gpu (and use internal graphics instead), there's no picture. also, sometimes, the fans just spin for a short time and then the system powers down.

should i just get a new psu or is there anything else i could try to rule out a faulty mainboard/cpu?

Sorry you have not gotten any helpful suggestions from this forum yet... erm, it's tough, over the life of a PSU it's output will diminish and the constant flow will become more varied. This can cause all sorts of symptoms and result in a vast array of problems. The only other thing that could present in the way you describe is an bad bios flash... but most if not all the GIGABYTE boards we recommend have dual bios and after a number of failed boot attempts (10 i think) it will resort to factory default rom and settings. This is one thing you could try. Other things that can present in that way would be CPU fault. Are there any beeps at all ?

thanks - so I either got a faulty cpu or mainboard? anything else i could try?

got no speaker on my case, so no beeps :( (or will the audio chip of the mainboard also emit beeps?)

i'll try the bios reset jumper and if this doesn't work i think i'll get a new psu first.

eilfurz said:
got no speaker on my case, so no beeps :( (or will the audio chip of the mainboard also emit beeps?)

i'll try the bios reset jumper and if this doesn't work i think i'll get a new psu first.

Most people skimp on PSU or get the cheapest 1000watt thing, better to find quality and know that the PSU output is constant. Since without nice power, no stable or working machine ;)

thanks. have you got any suggestions on brand/wattage?

(btw, bios reset did not work)

thanks, i'll try that (and hope, it's not the cpu that's bad)

yup, looks like the psu was the culprit. starting up fine with the corsair 600w. thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back